Monday 14 April 2008

Cool :)

Nice surprise.

Having our property adapted. Nothing major. But darn useful

New shower fitted side-on, over the bath.
Removable, adjustable, bath seat.
A second Stair Rail
Rail access to downstairs toilet.
Rail access into downstairs toilet.
Rail access to the front door.

The nice surprise is that we only found by accident we could have this assessed and fitted for free - previous options were either expensive or needed a torturous assessment.

As it was, the assessment was quick, simple, and the lady from our Physical Disability and Sensory Impairment Service (UK) went out of her way to be helpful. I only had to demonstrate my amusing attempts to get in and out of the bath, 'walk' (I use the term loosely) upstairs, access and use the loo, and enter and exit the house.

All free.

I didn't ask for the check. We assumed, as it wasn't offered as a result of my otherwise excellent Stroke care, (and I admit, my very independent attitude) that it's something we had to provide for ourselves. But as part of a modernisation package (we live in a rented home) a terribly nice chap visited to asses our modernisation needs, who went away, and the next thing I know I was being being visited and bingo :)

Apparently, there's a security system available where you use a 'panic button' if you fall, and either your alone, or there's no-one available who's available to lift you. That costs, but I'm waiting for the info to arrive.

And the work will be done within two weeks. Magic :)

There are some interesting twists if you live in council accommodation, or own your own home.

But I'll comment on that at a later date.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

where i live a "panic alarm" costs£27.90 per quarter and u need to either hve a keysafe or a keyholder who can b contacted in event of an emwegency(not much use if u live alone with no-one nrby)lyn

Anonymous said...

Nearer 40 quid up here Lyn, with a 30 quid installation fee, but from what I can gather, Similar, but if you have neighbours you get on with you can give their phone numbers.

Part of the package is that they can fit a phone that has built in powerful microphone and speaker, so when you hit the button you wear as a pendant, it triggers the phone.

If they don't get an answer from the numbers you give them, which they keep confidential, they send someone round.