Thursday 9 July 2009

I'm not sure whether the news I've had is good or bad.

I receive Disability Living Allowance. It's a tough benefit to get, (as I've said before) and is there to help relieve some of the financial burden of care and mobility if you have a disability. Care is darned expensive. As you may gather, there are two parts to it, Care, and Mobility. You can get one, or both, at various levels, and normally you're granted it for between one to three years. Then you have to reclaim, and your needs are reassessed.

I've heard of people getting either Care or Mobility indefinitely - meaning they don't have to claim again. This happens because the Department of Work and Pensions, along with the medics, decide there is no reasonable prospect of an improvement in the disability in the foreseeable future. This is very, very rare, and often it's the just the Mobility component.

I've been granted Indefinite status on both. I've never hear of that before.

It's good because we don't have to have the stress of going through a reclaim again. It's not means tested, so that's good again. It also means my carers effectively get the rather pathetic carers allowance
indefinitely too.

But I'm effectively being told I should not expect any improvement in my disability.

Now, that, is just plain bleeping annoying.

2 comments:

Rachel@just another day in paradise said...

don't ever give up. sometimes our navigational route changes, but our destination remains the same.

Wheelie said...

Thanks Rachel - You're 100% correct, and that's a wonderful way to put it. I've pinned that to my kitchen wall :)

It's just that it hadn't occurred to me before that I might be stuck with this stupid body. But then again, that's down to me, eh? Reaching for the day I can say, "thanks, but I don't need the help"