Friday 30 October 2009

Like Wot She Said

"Y'can tell a Yorkshireman, but y'can't tell him much"

I know, it's a golden oldie. Which figures, considering it came from 'Er Indoors, aka The Bear.

She's quite right of course. Y'can't. Not this Yorkshireman. She's only allowed to say so because she comes from a village closer to Barnsley. Barnsley, or Baaarnsley as she calls it, everyone knows, is only honorary Yorkshire, due some unusual diplomatic cross border relations some hundreds of years ago between their good selves and Sheffield. Quite what those relations were have been lost in the mists of time.

All I can find out on Google is that it was some considerable time before t'internet was invented, and therefore the information is not reliably recorded. I have a sneaking suspicion it was my relations fault.

Sheffield, as we all know, is the true Yorkshire. It is also said that "If tha does owt f'nowt, tha does it for thisen, and never for minimum wage". It must have been a helluva favour.

Note - Edited because The Bear threatened to take me and my wheels to the top of a hill and let go. Wow, what a woman :) Also added Barnsley, Baarnsley, and Yorkshireman to my browsers dictionary. So now it's true.

________

Posted (as a reply, I should add) something light hearted about sex and disability on The Stroke Association forum, Talk Stroke. I was very cautious and discreet. At the end of a list of posts by carers basically saying "no chance buster, after looking after him/her, I'm too knackered". My post, as was theirs, wiped out by The SA. Three times, which kinda sums it all up. Story of my life. Funny :) Stroke survivors have normal lives don't'cha'know :)

Assuming everyone else is like anyone else I guess. Which, I doubt. In fact, heck I hope not.

What is 'normal'?




No comments: