Tuesday 2 February 2010

I say tomato..

One of the things about being a stroke survivor - particularly if, like me, you are prone to further mini-strokes despite being on half a ton of pharmaceutical medication - is that you're looking for alternative recipes.

I've rarely over the years used ready meals or sauces, and I haven't been in a pub more than once a year for nearly 30 years, and then only for the beer and Christmas traditional carols:)

However, as much as I love cooking, I've had to have a look at what I cook and make sure I'm not overdoing it with the salt (mainly). I'm told I'm pretty good at gravy's soups and sauces. I'm not a salt avoider, on the basis that a little bit can make a difference, and my dietician agrees.

However, I've found it's the simple stuff I have to avoid, like tomato ketchup, and baked beans because their high salt, high sugar. Don't be fooled by the labels.

Below is a simple homemade Tomato sauce. If your looking at it and thinking, hmm, that's a pasta sauce with a preservative, you'd be quite right. Killed two birds with one stone there :) I'm not going to give a exact amounts here - that spoils the fun. Play !

Tomato Ketchup.

400g (14 oz) Fresh and/or Tinned Tomatoes.

A good slice of fennel chopped. Well, looking at a fennel bulb, maybe 1/4 inch top to bottom?

Fresh Chilli - depends how much 'tang' you want. I use a teeny bit, chopped.

Coriander - I prefer a handful of fresh, but a teaspoon of powder is fine.

A pinch of black pepper, and likewise, sea-salt. One finger and thumb, no more.

1 desert spoon lemon juice, or 1/4 of lemon . If your using a fresh lemon, just throw 1/4 in.

1 large red onion, finely chopped, preferably minced.

3 cloves of garlic. Pull them out of the bulb, put them on the counter and beat the heck outa them.
THEN peel them - much easier. Then if you you want to squash them - hit em with a rolling pin.

1/2 finely chopped pear. Yup. Apple will do. Otherwise, if you realy must, 1/2 tsp brown sugar.

More to come....

Method.

Put the ingredients, except for tinned tomatoes in a thick bottomed pan, with a good glug of olive oil, on a low heat. Put the lid on. Simmer for 20 mins. That, in my opinion is the important bit. It belends the flavour.

Keep an eye on the onions and garlic, and make sure it doesn't burn. Add the tomatoes, and a cup of water. Not an American (8 oz) cup - just a cup of water, and bring to a simmer - don't boil, simmer until it's thick.

Liquidise it. So far you have a nice pasta sauce.

At this point, if you add a good dash of white/red wine vinegar, and reduce again, you have a tomato ketchup. If it doesn't thicken for you as much as you like, add (French) potato flakes, UK, cornflour, or USA anything as long as it gets thick :) But, I've found mashed potato works fine in an emergency.

I've found it keeps with the vinegar for 6 months in a cool dark place or the fridge.

No comments: