Monday 29 March 2010

Flumps

Got 'The Glumps' today.

Until the end of last year, I was visited regularly by a very dear friend for a couple of hours who's just about to hit 80 years old. We hit it off right from our first meeting 30 years ago, despite the 25 year difference in our ages (and no, I'm not 105).

Due to increasing infirmity, he had to stop visiting, and I've really missed him.

I've always tried to hide the true extent of my disabilities from him, which is really very easy in your own home, where you know where everything is, and the toilet is just a hop, slip and a bump away.

But the other day I discovered a downside for doing that. It was the 40th anniversary of a church we both used to attend, and he received an invite to attend, and really wanted me to meet up with him there.

He knows I don't travel very well, though he doesn't quite know why. Tho' the church is well equipped for 'people with disabilities' (gosh, I hate that phrase) it just isn't practical for me sit through a sermon or three - I'd be a major distraction, because when I have to 'go' I have to go. No two ways about it. Amongst other things.

I had to come clean, and he was unable to disguise the disappointment and hurt in his voice. It's taught me a lesson - if someone loves you, it doesn't pay to hide too much from them.

So, as my 13 year old lass would say, I have the Flumps. But I've learned something important.

No comments: