Friday 24 September 2010

Multi-coloured Swop Shop.

I was chatting to a Japanese friend about my habit of using what we have for meals, and foraging - the local wildlife trust has planted loads of wildflowers in a local field, which is a bonanza for me - and she commented she didn't realise I was so poor, and would I like her to fetch me something from the supermarket? :)

Bless her. True, supermarkets are handy, but they only sell where's there's a profit to made - you won't get sunflower seeds, olives, anchovies or pine nuts for a pesto at our local supermarket. No demand for them locally.

I use what I have, because no one ever saved money by throwing anything away, and I like to forage for herbs, flowers, wild garlic, blue berry's, blackberries - the list goes on, because I want to.

I love the brief opportunity to get out with my 13 year old for a short while, to learn more about the local flora, and pass on that knowledge, and preparing herbal medicines and cook for the family.

Despite having a disastrous couple of years for various reasons growing veg, I've been able to forge links with locals with a surplus, overgrown gardens and allotments (I Dream of being able to work an allotment) .

My eggs, duck and hen, come from Bolsterstone, my cucumbers and tomato's from little village green houses in Stocksbridge, my cooking and medicinal herbs from, golly, from within garden riches within 25 yards they never knew they had.

It's not exactly free. My little 'un and I have to knock on a door and ask and explain what we've spotted and why we'd like some. But it's given freely. I think bartering a couple of duck eggs and a bit of knowledge is a good exchange :)

Successes today. Discovering a next door neighbour wanted to get rid of a blackberry plant that she was worried was growing through our adjoining fence. Because it's so easily propagated, I've persuaded her to leave it just one more year. The bit growing through the fence I'll pin the ends down into my front lawn. Come late spring, it'll have rooted, and she can get rid her side (pity)

Another neighbour says their getting "maybe a couple of chickens" in spring. The modern city way. Plastic coops, small plot. Problem. Chicken poo, fox.

Foxy and I are old friends, the skinny idiot too-tame twit. He's no problem. Advised her how to set up a pen (bury the chicken-wire 18" down, 4' up) and chicken poo is an excellent fertiliser, we'll clean that up and compost it. Bear, Tots and I will feed them while their at work. For whatever eggs they can spare.

Love Barter :)

No comments: