Saturday 16 April 2011

Gorgeous

Phew, an exhausting but lovely day. My 'little' sisters wedding went very well. She looked absolutely gorgeous. The groom looked very dapper - but then again, he always does.

Must have been over 150 people there, so much so that 20 or so were left standing at the back.

A really nice, not in the least bit religious thingamabob at the town hall. The registrar - I think that's who he was - delivered a very professional and moving ceremony, with music from Enya and Snow Patrol playing in the odd pause.

Bit of a comedian. After a moving poem that he'd chosen, he paused for just the right effect, and quipped "Now then you two - looks like you've gorn and dunnit!" to lots of laughter and applause. I was well impressed, when you consider he does this four or more times a day. He made it seem individual. A real skill.

A nice meal at the reception at the nearby Novatel hotel. A couple of large roast potatoes, (More for the Bear there - I'm not allowed) more some juliet (little sticks of ) carrots, celerac and green beans, with some grilled chicken with a wonderful mushroom sauce. Who's taste I'm desperately going to keep in memory because I want to duplicate it, garnished with fresh herbs.

The sweet (again, more for the Bear) was something that resembled a square of cheesecake, with a chocolate topping, with some kind of choccy twizzle stick, with a strawberry (yuk!) served on a slate.

Yup. A slate. My brother said he was might collect a few for his roof. Perhaps they were short of plates. It looked posh, I have to admit. Just.....odd.... Ah well. I suppose they were dishwasher proof.

The red and white wine was rationed - as Bear found as she tried to weedle another glass of red from a waitress. Plenty of champagne tho'. Didn't drink myself though - but that's ok, there was tea, coffee, and fresh orange juice by the gallon.

Gobsmacked at the prices at the bar. Coke at £2.52 a tin? 330 ml (same size as a coke tin) Bulmers Cider £5.20 a tin? £4.50 for the same size Kaser non-alcoholic lager. My son and I looked at the price list, then at each other, dropped it, then we both looked at the Bear, and Son'o'mine said "Mother, No!". And he works for a bank.

Poor Bear.

Despite a furious last-ditch nag-attack, I'm not at the evening do. I'm knackered. So I've bribed - well, loaned (naturally) - a long time mate, Daz The Man, to take Bear and Tots the Teen to the same hotel for that.

Hey, if he wants to pay tenner, for 2 minuscule drinks and pays me back, that's cool by me, mon ami ...... I'm not daft.

~~~~

Stupid The Dog is spending the weekend with his little half brother at Bears parents. So until Bear staggers in at weird o'clock, after some of what Tots The Teen calls 'drunk old lady dancing', it's just me, the cats, Monsters Inside Me (about parasites - fascinating ) on Animal Planet, and a 500ml can of Carly Special Brew. £1.50. That'll do for me. Naughty, but nice.

~~~~

In case you're a-wondering what the backing music for the latest Dulux advert is, that sounds so familiar? It's the theme music from a TV series called "The Littlest Hobo".

And if you remember that, you are of a certain age :)

No comments: