Sunday 1 May 2011

Deep Sadness.

It's with tremendous sadness I've been told that an old friend and mentor, Peter Fenwick, passed away last night. Peter was the founder, driver and motivator behind Sheffield House Churches. His influence went much, much further than that. He built and taught at many churches across the world.

My Bear, in her mid-forties, has known him since she was three years old. I've known him for at least 28 years. He married us 26 years ago, and took my little brothers ( he was 40) funeral free of charge 6 years ago,
and my dads funeral a few years earlier. He married my litttle brother at his first wedding too.

Over the years, he quietly moved us between churches, and discipled and mentored us on the quiet. He rescued us when when the the Christian Free Churches went through a few ups and downs, and never lost faith in us. He used to say "Well, some people are too heavenly bound to be any earthly use!". The other thing he used to say often that made me chuckle was "The only consistent thing about life and churches was change". Massive, massive, influence.

He worked quietly, often under cover and with determination. Heck, I'm going to miss him :(

Anyway, I won't be wearing black at his funeral. Non of this
maudlin nonsense. I'm going to celebrate the life of a wonderful, wonderful man.

His family requests that no-one contacts them for a few days, and if someone should, it should be through the Eldership.


6 comments:

Jo said...

sorry to hear about your friend.

Josie x

Wheelie said...

Ta ducks. Much appreciated.

Rarelesserspotted said...

Always sad to hear about the death of a friend. Kind thoughts to you and yours.

Elizabeth said...

I've heard of Peter only through reputation, I think, ('though something rings in my mind that I may have heard him speak many years ago), but I do know how sadly he will be missed and of the good work he did amongst the house church movements as it has moved through some difficult times. His loss is sad and especially for you and your family as he has obviously had a very special place in your hearts, but it is right to celebrate and set the Lord's seal of approval on all he has done as he moves on to Higher service. x

Sally R said...

I received the news today that Peter Fenwick, founder of Sheffield Housechurch, had died. The Thanksgiving Service for his life and witness was yesterday.
I am very grateful for the friend who let me know of Peter Fenwick's passing; if I had known earlier, I would have gone to the Service.
While living in Sheffield in the early 80's, I attended Nether Edge Housechurch for a couple of years, and well remember Peter for being a great teacher, and a wonderful encourager. He will be greatly missed.
Sadly, I later made a wrong decision,and left Sheffield Housechurch to join a Restorationist church in the city. They were under great deception, and I quickly fell prey to being deceived myself when I joined them. Yet more deceptions were added to these when I moved to London in 1986, culminating in the Toronto Experience in 1994.
Praise God, He delivered me out of all these deceptions 18 months later, and I shall always be grateful for Peter, Jacob Prasch and others who were used of the Lord to bring me out of error and into truth.
Peter Fenwick truly was a wonderful servant of the Lord. He is now with Him in Glory.
In Him,
Sally R (London)

Wheelie said...

Gosh yes. I remember the Toronto 'experience' - and 'Signs and Wonders'. John Wimber and all that. That seems a long time ago now.

If you're interested Sally, the celebration was recorded. In fact, I'm off to put a post up.....