Friday 9 December 2011

Crazy

Ahhh, I feel better after that :) Had an email from a Stroked friend saying "git your ass over here" (to the stroke association forums). Yes miss. Followed 15 mins later by another email "heck, I sometimes forget that you're THAT blunt Yorkshireman!".

Apparently, that's a Good Thing. This time. So I'm insufferably pleased with myself today :)

~~~~

May I recommend by the way, one of those email notifying programs that sit in your system tray (on Windows) and pop a little message up when one of your email accounts receives a mail? There are plenty of free ones about. The downside is that you have to set up account details for each account within the program - I have a number of email accounts for different purposes.

I eventually settled for one called Pop-Peeper, because it has minimal resource usage. I can reply, delete, mark as read and unread across all accounts, including web mail, in one interface. But most of all, I now know very quickly when I have mail. Darn. I've no excuse to delay any more :)

~~~~

I've had a strange conversation with someone about Job Centres. They were telling me all their trials and tribulations about the horrors of 'signing on'. It sounds pretty awful. "I'll look it up for you" I offered. "Look it up? Surely you know?"

Sure I do, but only through what others have told me that I've looked up for others, and having kids that have. My knowledge is second hand.

Truth is, I've never 'signed on' in my life. Never had to. My closest brush with employment services was at sometime in the early 1980's when I was visited by two terribly nice young chaps while I was between jobs for a little while, who employment services sent round to find out why I HADN'T claimed benefits.

I bet that doesn't happen nowadays... :)

Didn't need to. I had sufficient for my needs. They left, leaving me with the knowledge that one was a Sweet fan, and the other a Bowie fan. Nice chaps.

The truth is, I'm not allowed in a Job Centre, even if I wanted to. It's a little known fact that you are not, according to JC Plus, allowed to use their services, and they are not allowed to offer you help unless you claim Job Seekers Allowance.

What's wrong with that?

Consider some scenarios. You are in a job, but aren't happy with it. You want to look for another job. Nope. JCP are closed to you. You're on your own.

You're about to made redundant. The sensible option is to start looking for work before you are. Nope.

You've been a housewife, the kids have grown up, you want to work. Nope.

You are self employed. Business has been slow. You need to work temporary part or full time to pay the bills. No.

Not unless you claim (un)employment benefits, and whether you get can it depends on your savings and other circumstances. Assuming you do, you have to follow a strict, regimented routine of when you can use the services.

But the bottom line is there are many obstacles to being recognised as 'unemployed'. One way of keeping the unemployment figures down.

Just plain daft if you ask me. I thought their Job was to help people find work?


No comments: