Saturday 31 December 2011

I've just been reading in the Telegraph about an evangelical christian american footballer who prays before being called on pitch.

Anyone who knows me well, will be aware I've an atheist brother, a church leader brother, another few who couldn't care less, and many, many years ago I did a stint in church leadership myself.

Though to be honest for me it was an interest in the practical, rather than in religious side....I'll let you work that one out :)

The correspondent in the Telegraph points out the footballers second rate team seems to on the up, and dares to imply it may be a result of prayer. Is prayer important?

I'd say yes. I suppose most people have a fixed idea, probably ingrained in childhood, that prayer is a communication with someone, or a group, that is greater than themselves. I'm ok with that. My church elder brother will tell you it's part of his faith that allows him to know he's loved. My atheist bro' will tell you it's a load of old cobblers.

Prayer, at it's basic is a bonding experience between people with a common goal. I'd say that for an individual, no matter if you have faith or not(faith, to quote Paul of Tarsus, is belief in that yet unseen) is important because it allows a reaffirmation of what you DO believe. In a nutshell, do it because you can, if only for the reason that you affirm a belief in your goals.

Faith in those things yet unseen. Why deny yourself the privilege?

Darn it. This bloke with a stroke was bought some jeans with button-up fly's jeans for Christmas. Really nice they are too. I have a weakness on the right side. Not totally bloom'n useless. Just much weaker. Have you ever tried to undo Jean buttons one handed when you REALLY got to go? Darn it. Right. I'm working hard on doing the out thing. I've done it twice over christmas with Bear, and I don't, can't shift, afterwards for days. But I'm pushing, and pushing, and only ended on my arse a couple of times. Pffft. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Rarelesserspotted said...

I pray. I don't have a set time for it - sometimes and most usually, it's just before I fall asleep at night - sometimes I don't even finish it before I nod off. Sometimes I pray while I am meditating for the health of other people and I pray before I do my Reiki healing. I think the slightly more important question is who do we pray to? I pray to the Divine, Archangles, my Spirit Guides - there doesn't need to be a 'God' in a persons belief system to pray I don't think. You can pray to yourself of course - to appeal to hidden consciousness - to act as a stimulant to do or not to do something, or just get something off your chest. My mother, who is a Methodist no longer goes to church because she fell out with the reverend because she believes (and she's right) that you don't have to go to a church to pray to your God.

Fascinating subject Wheelie, as always stimulated by your keen observations.
x

Wheelie said...

Thank you :)

I'm often told that I'm either a total idiot about it, or missing the point.

The 'total idiot' faction think I'm talking to myself, and those that believe they are speaking to their god think I neither understand nor care.

I do care, and care very much.

I'll leave that hanging for now.