Monday 26 March 2012

Dunnit.

The family day out eventually accumulated 12 people, and I'm told the service was very prompt.

They didn't take pre-bookings, so Bear said she was surprised how quickly they served a three course meal for 12. She said the main course alone was so large it would have lasted me a week. Bear isn't one to let anything go to waste. A perfect partnership :)

I rebelled, and almost got to the shop alone. Three quarters of the way there, I was hoisted off my feet by a couple of 'hoodies' who laughing carried me down a steep path to the road, and gave me a quick brush down.

"We saw you kept sitting down and stopping, so we thought we'd give you a hand Uncle Dray!"

Actually, well, yeah, I was resting, but I'd also spotted some cow parsley, wild garlic, sorrel, young nettles and dandelion for tea. Hey? they're free....

Uncle Dray? Y'know I have absolutely no idea who they were. Nice chaps.

According to my phone, using Google My Tracks, the round trip took me just over 38 minutes. Bear takes 20 mins on her little legs, so that's not too shabby.

Quite proud of myself, I am. Though I'm paying for it today. I can barely shift. Sheesh :)


2 comments:

Rarelesserspotted said...

great post - what do you do with the herbs André?

Wheelie said...

They all have 'bite' in common. I prefer that over sweetness.

That is, though there is a certain sweetness, particularly if caught young, they edge towards a sharp sourness.

Sorrel often reminds me of when I sneak a little yellow strawberry from Bears hanging basket:)

I have a fondness for nettle soup - no stings when it's cooked or blanched, with onion, a little chopped smoked bacon and fried as a burger.

The rest, well washed and picked well away from paths and trees, I use in salads. Great as seasoning's in soups, though you need more than their stronger tasting supermarket cousins.

The small wild garlic leaves and flowers add a delicate smell and taste to salads.