Saturday 21 April 2012

World wide Webb?

I have a conundrum.


I've spent the morning scratching my head looking at the seed trays I have scattered around the house. Various cut-and-come-again lettuce mainly.


The theory goes like this. You plant more than you need because something or other will kill off a lot of them, right? Wrong. Very Wrong.


Likewise, you know the seeds from the red and yellow bell peppers and chilli's from the supermarket that normally end up in the bin, because again, the theory is their too immature to sprout? Last year, I got two to sprout, and their still going strong. 


I dare'n't count the herbs.


Where the heck am I going plant over 120 lettuce and forty-odd  thriving peppers and chilli's?  I can just see it now. Knocking on all my neighbours doors and saying "Err.... hello missus. Can I plant some of these amongst your Aquilegia?"  


It'll be "Quick Bert, shut the curtains. It's that weird bloke with his Lettuce coming up the path again!".


~~~~

A bloke goes to the doctors with a lettuce hanging out of his ear. "Ouch!" says the doctor. "That looks nasty"

"Nasty!?" says the bloke. "Nasty!? That's just the tip of the Iceberg"
~~~~

I've just discovered that should there be a 'hosepipe ban' in our area - there isn't at the mo' - that because I'm on a mobility benefit I will be exempt. How very odd. That'll really make me popular around here. Not. Perhaps I could bribe the neighbours..... with.... hmmm....

2 comments:

Rarelesserspotted said...

As always great blog and dreadful joke although I have to admit a smile! I had a friend who used to do the same as you and have every sill in the house covered in trays and salad and veg. I often thought the effort outweighed the benefit, but it's nothing to do with that is it, it's about enjoying the production and delighting in eating your own produce. Good luck with it!
x

Wheelie said...

Ta RLS. My Bear would agree about effort outweighing the benefit.

F'rinstance, I love my Bread machine. I love the varieties I can make, and other than making and baking bread, it can make doughs to oven bake.

The downside is because it's additive free it can stale quickly.

Bear? Meh. Give her supermarket cheap sliced any time (search 'Chorley Wood Method')

Net result is that I can be very creative with recipes that use homemade bread.

And I have more jokes where that came from... :)