Tuesday 1 May 2012

Five Fingers Of Steel

This, over at JULES FOOD looks delicious. If I can get The Bear to stand still long enough, we'll do it this evening.


Bear deals with the day to day cooking and baking, I do the fancy stuff, and breads, pickles and chutneys, under strict supervision. I don't know what they think I'm going to do. Fall into the bread maker maybe? Mind you, having a team mate comes in useful for the bending down to get stuff out of cupboards stuff.


Not that I can't bend down. Down is easy. I do down a lot. What can I say? I laugh in the face of danger.... It's  the up bit that's a little bit of a problem :)


I had a cerebellum and left a sided stroke. The left side was a 'minor' which means my right side is a little inconvenienced. The rare cerebellum stroke virtually wiped out the cerebellum, which is responsible for balance and motor control. Technically, I should be unable to walk at all.


Interestingly, the loss or severe damage to the cerebellum is also a symptom of severe alcoholism. Which some sneaky medic tests for now and again. I'm cool with that. Always negative of course. Can't say I blame them. If caught unguarded I can appear as pissed as a newt.


I've adapted very well to floors that, if I stop thinking about it, would turn into the deck of a heaving ship that would slap me in the nose to say hello, and cups that even now insist on moving before my hand reaches them. Bear and I were having a laugh last night about how my fork insists on poking in my ear if I get distracted while eating, and the problems of getting turmeric out of a white shirt.


Having said that, its astonishing how the human brain adapts. Better still, the mind. If the mind isn't strong, the body is borked anyway. I'm lucky in that a circuit clicked in that realised as far as limbs were concerned, there is nothing wrong with them. It's the control centre that's sugared. So it's a mechanical dysfunction. Easy :)


I took great inspiration from an Isaac Asimov short story, where the basic plot was that a humanoid robot controlled five others in a mining operation, who began to act randomly. Cracking good yarn. I believe it's called 'Five Fingers of Steel'.


~~~~ 


I'm terrible when it comes to food. I love to cook. Not so good on the eating bit. After my first stroke, a peculiar side effect was I lost the ability to feel hungry. So if I'm busy, or being my stubborn single minded, pig-head self, I'll forget. In response, Bear will cook me these gynourmous meals, and file them in the fridge.


Then each of those meals can last me three days. Gotta give her ten out of ten for effort :)


Have to go. Idiot dog has dumped a well-slimey ball on my lap and giving me the big brown eye look. Recommend  a woofler if you don't have one. And Sniff the slightly demented 15 year old cat is having a mad half hour. She's sat on my keyboard swatting at my head and I'm having to type around her bum......

No comments: