Saturday 26 May 2012

Um, I dunno.

I had a very odd experience this tea time. 


Actually, it was between 16:31 and 16:34. How do I know? Because I've got that kind of mind.


There was a tap on the front door, and a tall, slim distinguished gentleman with short white hair and a white goatee beard asked for me by my christian name. That got my attention immediately because he used the name I'm normally called by. I have two christain names, I've used my second all my life except for official purposes, when I use both. Long story :)


He shook my hand, asked whether I was well, how Bear and Tots are, (by their real names) looking relaxed but somewhat distracted, then he looked straight at me, hands in trousers pockets, very intently, for at least 20 seconds. During the pause, I got the chance to, well, look him up and down. I'll get to that in a minute.


"Look" he sighed, shrugging and relaxing again "This is going to sound a bit strange, but no worries? Is that ok with you?" I wouldn't have known him from Adam. So I asked, excuse me, but... He replied "I wouldn't bother about that. I just need you to know, ok, yes?" 


He was tall. Taller than me. About 6'4" I'd say. Late 60's early seventies? Very slim, slicked back very short white hair, goatee beard, neat moustache. A thick material suit, with a waistcoat, really out of keeping with the weather (26 C) with a dark, mid brown, almost tartan pattern. Buttoned. Light tan well polished expensive looking laced shoes. I've racked my brains trying to remember his shirt and tie, but I'm stuck on that one.


There was something about his eyes. Can't put my finger on it.


If I'd seen him in the street, I would have noted a tall slightly eccentric but dapper antique dealer. 


Here's the disconcerting bit. He smiled, turned away, and disappeared. 


I was on my doorstep, I can see all the way up my path to my gate. He sort of, went. He turned and he wasn't there. This bloke was solid as a rock. He shook my hand. He just went.


I know what you're thinking. Strokie, brain damage? Right? No. Never hallucinations. No history of any mental illness including depression. 


I've no idea what to make of it. Well, not quite true. I do, but I don't like it.

No comments: