Monday 28 May 2012

Vat.

Might have noticed I mentioned VAT-free in one of my tweets. Hmm. Thorny subject that.


It took me years to discover it, and until they introduce PIP (personal independence payment) when who knows? If you are on Higher Level, or Mid Level Care DLA (disability living allowance) and a number of other aid benefits here in the UK, some aids are available VAT free.


More information here. Yup, I know it's an archive. Interesting in itself that it is. DLA and VAT


This tax relief is meant to cover basic disability aids. This means anything you can get from a Mobility or Disability shop, or anywhere else that supplies that equipment. I won't give you a list. 


But all you need to do, at least until April 2013, is you, or a carer fill in a VAT exception form or provide the details, or provide the details to enable such a form to be filled in.


More, most places require you to present to sign the form. Which, as you can imagine can be difficult.


Which is why it's a thorny subject for me. Word got out, didn't it. For the record, the magic phrase in the document is "products made widely available for a group of people to use".


So electric drills, sanders, bench saws, circular saws, planers, lathes and nail guns et-al are out. 


Yeh. I know. "If I just happened to have one?" it would make life so much easier. True. I wish. 


Sorry chaps. Nice try. ;)


~~~~~


Tomorrow, I'm going to remove the tick boxes from the bottom of these posts for a while. I hope that doesn't inconvenience anyone.





No comments: