Thursday 2 August 2012

Appeal


  • Q. There are many kinds of Stroke. What kind of Stroke did I have?



  • A. Cerebellar, and TIA's.  The cerebellum is part  of the brain at the back. For an explanation see Here. In a nutshell it affects my co-ordination. I'm told that technically I shouldn't be able to walk. I agree. But I'm stubborn, pig headed and grumpy, and make sure I have lots of practice.



I have trouble walking unassisted, and if I miss-step and/or trip, I can't get up unaided.  It's a bit like slipping on deck on a rough sea.


But it isn't just walking. If I reach for a cup, for instance, I have to calculate quite where I think it should be, or my hand will either miss or go through it. Bring a cup to my mouth, I have to be sure it goes there, not in my left ear, My lass spends a lot of time washing shirts. Even after all this time, it's like learning to play darts. 


You have no idea how funny it is when I pick up a dart. For some odd reason people say "Oh, F**k" and do a runner. Can't think why..... 


Other than the obvious signs of a missing or reduced cerebellum, such a stroke takes a lot of investigation. For instance, people with severe alcoholism can lose their cerebellum. So even if they give up drinking, they seem to be drunk. At the time I was teetotal. So that and lots of annoying tests ruled that out.

  • Q. What is a T.I.A. ? A T.I.A, or (here)  Transient ischemic attack is the most hated phrase in my personalverve. Cus it ain't. The idea is that it's a tiny stroke who's effects last than twenty four hours.

For a start, 24 hours is a purely arbitrary time. It's like five-a-day. A lottery figure. I mean seriously. It's like my missus saying "Would you like your 5 a day?", me saying "Don't mind if I do!" after she's read fifty shades of grey and expecting to walk afterwards. Rubbish.

Yes. The effects are indeed shortish lasting. But every time it happens, you lose a little bit more of yourself. Most importantly, I'll kid you not, from my experience, a stroke is a stroke, is a stroke. 

Don't mess around with doctors appointments. If you have sudden facial, arm, speech problems F.A.S.T-ime to call 999. 

I ignored that. And for no-one else's  fault but my own, I have permanent right sided weakness on top of the  cerebellar stroke, Speech problems, swallowing problems and as much as I hate to say it, some cognition problems (I'm a bit slow on the uptake). All because I don't like hospitals. I'm an idiot. 

Please don't do as I do, do as I say.  

No comments: