Friday 24 August 2012

Makers

Granddaughters second birthday. Bear and Tots have been busy making lots and lots of buns, then their off. Tho' it's only a few minutes away, I've sent up my home-made pizza dough for her dad. 

I won't be going. From long experience, as the evening wears on the adults will have a few drinks.

Granddaughter and I will do our own thing later. Granddad is making her something and she can help me finish it. Catch 'em young and turn them into Makers, and they'll never want for anything ever again.

~~~~

Projects under way. 

Charlie's present. yeh, it's overdue, but that is quite deliberate because I want her help. I know she's only two, but that's the idea. If I may be blunt, I want to catch her now while she's young. I've had multiple strokes and I don't know if I'll have any more. But in twenty five years time, when she's looking at a blank wall, or thinking of a gift, I want her to think "What would granddad do?" That will be my legacy.

Besides - who said birthdays should last one day?

On my infrequent trips out with Bear, I've come across chunks of layered sand stone rock. I find it exciting to think that when in the last ice age, the glaciers ground through the valley's below and shoved aside chunks of a period when it was much flatter, the valley's didn't exist, and there were shallow warm seas and ponds  that laid down layer upon layer of sand and silt.  

In honour to my land ancestors, I'll be carving one into a copy of an oil lamp. In Europe, the oldest found on land, is 17,000 years old. And yeh, I know sandstone is absorbent. Then I want to carve a Boar, which will be a challenge. It's crumbly stuff.

My sister makes memory books. Not scrapbooks. Gawd help anyone that calls them scrapbooks. Since I do bookbinding, I'll be make a few starters for her. Making sewed covers, pockets, embroidery, stitched animals and figurines and secret places is beyond me though, eh, Josie? :) .

I want to make a little model steam roller from scratch. I did it from a kit when I was a kid, and I've looked around and been horrified at the prices. So using materials at hand from recycled materials safely is going to be good fun.

Dray x

  

No comments: