Tuesday 28 August 2012

What Q?

As part of an assessment, I took an IQ test. I scored 200. I think that caused them some consternation, because they asked me to do another one. I scored 205. I refused the third time.

To put that in context, my (amused) doctor has an IQ of 140. Stephen Hawking and Albert Einstein scored at 160, so that would put more on par with Emanuel Swedenborg, the theologian, scientist and philosopher at 205.

Wouldn't it? Would it heckers like.

Thirty years ago I considered taking an Access to Nursing course. There were a number of criteria to fulfil, such as qualifications, demonstrated ability, an exam to pass, and an IQ test.

I had a chat about it over a pint with a friend, a professor at a local Uni, who mentioned with a broad grin that their psychology department was doing a short project called 'How to pass an IQ test". After a good natured debate - he didn't want me to do the nursing course - I said, right then. You're on.

The title is of course a joke. Everyone passes an IQ test.

How did I do on the nursing course? Pretty good actually. It was just challenging enough to be good fun.

Then came the phone call about the IQ test. They thought there'd been an error, and would I mind doing a retake? Why? It was 190. "A bit too high". Eh? ok, I said. They were very nice about it when it came back again as 205, and very apologetic, but would I mind awfully?.... Yeh, actually, I would mind.

"The result was inconsistent with the requisites for completion of the course" Which is hogwash speech for either "What's someone with an IQ like that doing on the course, it's suspicious", or "Nurses aren't supposed to score 205". Ouch.

Though it's nice to know that I still score that after 30 years and a few Strokes, it confirms my belief  that such tests are in no way a measure of intelligence. It's something, like anything else, that you can learn to do. Consistent demonstration of ability in those fields of endeavour you choose, that makes you happy is.

~~~~

A bit of common sense comes in handy too. For instance, if you ask the wife, shorter than you "Put that in the bottom cupboard for me will you ducks?". If she grumpily says "Why?", shut up. Don't quip "Because you're closer to the floor than me". Hmmm. Not very bright.

No comments: