Sunday 9 September 2012

Birds

It would seem I've become invisible again. Quite a useful ability. Sort of.

Quite used to people talking over my head, or people knowing I'm there and not quite knowing how to refer to me. The wheels make them uncomfortable, and Stroke means brain damage, brain damage, they infer  means there may be some intellectual deficit. But that's ok. I can put them at ease.

But sometimes, I can be truly invisible. Try this. "Sometimes your bloke can be quite deceptive" someone said to Bear. "he comes across as real quiet, almost submissive. Then he kinda comes at you if he doesn't like what you're saying" Nah, I thought. No problem with that. The lady in question was six inches away.

I stood up. "Coffee?". No answer. "Bear?". No answer. Wobbled into the kitchen, Made three tea's, plonked them in front of them. Sat down.  "Has he got a facebook account?". I leaned over, tapped her on the shoulder. No, I don't. Would you like sugar?

The poor lass turned white, jumped out of her chair, knocking it over, and fled. Bear blinked a couple of times, frowned. "Is this mine? Ta love. Were'd she go?" Where indeed.

~~~~~

Last night, Bear found a 'zebra finch' with what appears to be a broken leg. It's not unusual for zebra finches to be found in the wild. Or birds to be found injured. I've found the best way is to keep them with some food and water in a bird box, in a warm dark place until the RSPCA can collect them. But to be honest, the success with wild birds is not good, even if you know what kind of food they eat.

Even if their injuries seem survivable, stress kills them. So I was surprised when this morning she said it was still alive, and an hour ago it was singing. That's no bloomin' zebra finch.





I'm very disappointed with the RSPCA. We've been given 3 collection times, and even been told to release it back into the garden since last night.  Have they turned up? Have they heckers like. Look at the poor lad. I don't know a lot  about birds, but that is definitely a domesticated canary. I feel he's a male, but he's in a presenting position. I know his metabolic rate is high, but he's panting more I sense he should do. The signs are all wrong. Help?

I'm not very good with critters in cages. I relate too easily.


Update.

Forgive me. I know this is corny, but I was looking at yon cutie, and thought - Twitter.  I know. I know.

So I grumbled at @RSPCA and a nice young lady turned up within 15 minutes. "That's not a Canary" she said. "It's a yellow Finch". Ah, I thought. Read my Tweet then. Anyways. He's off.

Now I'm being followed on twitter by RSPCA NorthWiltshire

Which is cool.





3 comments:

Diane said...

The only wild birds I've ever saved that have flown away have been those snatched from the jaws of cats, surprisingly. If I've found an injured bird (possibly from one of the cats, granted) they usually die. I've had one pigeon collected by the RSPCA. I think that one survived and was released.

I always find I subconsciously lower myself so that I'm at eye-level with anyone sitting down when I'm standing, regardless of why they're seated. I'm not sure if that's appreciated by some or deemed as patronising. I've never had anyone fall out with me over it, though, to my knowledge. And I also address any questions to whoever I'm asking them of, regardless of whether or not they answer for themselves.

Mind you, I have been known to say to someone answering on behalf of someone who is quite capable of answering for themselves that I wasn't asking them ... if you get my drift.

Wheelie said...

My lass and the lass next door are both mad cat women, and naturally, it's not their cats.

I'll be honest, if I see a cat with a bird, unless the bird is putting up one heck of a fight, I turn around and walk away, though not without regret.

Way I see it, whatever the arguments about the proliferance of domestic versus wild predators and their 'victims', that's the way the wild is, more often unseen.

Actually, its cool when someone bends to speak. I'm lucky in that I can stand and can walk. Just not for long. But if I'm in my wheels, it's because I can't at that time.

Most of my experiences of using a wheelchair are entirely positive. An embarrassment of kindness. Perhaps, on balance I should quit grumbling now about the small percentage that rub me up the wrong way :)

Diane said...

I don't bend, I tend to squat or sit. One time I was squatting and almost fell over and the person in the wheelchair insisted that we roll over to a table and he arranged for a chair to be made clear for me.

I also just nominated you for Seven Things About Me. :-)