Saturday 1 December 2012

Food Parcels

I've been out of the house six times this year. I know that doesn't sound much, but it is for me.

Out of those six times, Once I went out alone, and was grabbed and carried by laughing local hoodies (or teens, as we call them around here). That was good fun, but earned me a severe ear-bending from the family. Of the other five, I was accompanied by the Bear, and managed to fall down three times out of the five, the last time the day-before-yesterday.

I am so pleased. Sure, it was annoying, and yup, I got my ear bent by a Bear who yelled at me as though I was a three year old who'd run into traffic. Wives do that. No serious damage, just annoying dinner plate sized bruises that are more a result of 'blood thinners' I'm on.

My lot would prefer me not to go out at all. But that's no way to live is it? I'm not sure that's even living.

If you know someone who finds things a bit difficult because bits don't work well, it's wonderful that people care and worry, but it's worth stopping and thinking how you would feel if you were in their position.

~~~~

I've referred a lot of people to food banks the last couple of weeks. Bear and I used to do it with the odd three or four a week ourselves, before it became too much. As I'm typing, I'm watching on the BBC news how one food bank here in the UK has had an increase of up to 1000 people a week who are are in food poverty.

Most supermarkets have a 'bin' where you can buy a few cans or non perishable items extra and drop them in, or tokens you can pop in for your preferred charity I'm told.

It's not easy to get food bank food here in the uk. They are interviewed either personally or by phone, and they don't make any judgement that anyone uses a mobile ;) Either way, you don't have to be on benefits. You have to explain why you need help. 

For the record, we've not used a food bank ourselves.

They get three days worth

~~~~~~

So what would you get in the UK?

Tinned food. 3 tins of tinned meat and /or fish

Tinned Veg, 2 Tinned soup - various.

Tinned fruit, such as pear, peaches.

Fruit juices

Tomatoes, tinned

Rice pudding

Instant mashed potato

A box of breakfast cereal .

UHT Milk.

Rice, Noodles, pasta, tinned potatoes.

Tea bags, sugar, coffee.

Jam, Marmalade, Marg.

Loo rolls, washing up liquid.

No comments: