Thursday 5 September 2013

Mmm. Brains.....

Going through a load of forms, mainly medical related and correcting boxes where it's been prefilled. Mainly where it says 'unemployed'. Because I'm on benefits doesn't mean I've ever claimed unemployment benefits.

It's an anomaly in the system. If you don't claim certain benefits, various Government departments chase you up wanting to know why the heck not. Which would be amusing if it wasn't such a nuisance. So to stave off fighting off bemused office workers with a pointy stick, I go here every few months. Yup, the UK Government has it's own website where you can check. You may well be surprised.

Many people I know - the bloke next door has two jobs - are on one or more benefits, and correctly so. Despite what some in the media would have people believe. In an era of long hours and low pay, that's no great surprise.

Our fuel supplier has just advised us to apply for the Warmhome allowance. Run in conjunction with the Government, and financed by the fuel suppliers, at some levels of benefits, particularly health related, £135 is available this year as a deduction from the first quarter of the 2014 bill.

Every company has it's own policy and implementation. Some, if they know which benefit you are on do it automatically. This is different from age related fuel grants. Warmhome is paid as a credit into your account, even if you use Prepay (so-called 'key') meters, and separate from Cold Weather payments.

--------

The Head MRI scan went ok. It was certainly an experience.

I had been warned they may use a head restraint, maybe some kind of face mask because you have to be very still and that it was quite noisy and claustrophobic and last 30-45 mins.

As it happened, they gave me a little rubber bulb thingy to squeeze in case I needed anything, and a pair of headphones to minimize the noise. I was laid on a table on some tissue stuff, and they rested my head and feet on pillows. Then they slid a semicircular plastic shield with a white stripe across it across my head that was about, I dunno, maybe 6-8 inches above my face.

A voice in the headphones asked if I was ok, then the table slid into the scanner. I didn't feel in the least claustrophobic. There was a lots of buzzing, whirring and clunking, but it wasn't loud. The table moved slightly a few times, so I just closed my eyes relaxed and worked through some maths.

It seemed about 7 or 8 minutes, but as they helped me out I asked whether I was still enough to which they said I was, and when I commented that it took a lot less longer than I expected, they said most people complain 30 mins is too long.

On the way back to Anne I got a sneak preview of a couple of slices of my brain. Yup. I memorised a bit of my brain. It appealed to my Arty side.

Catchya xx









No comments: