Thursday 7 May 2009

Imagine

If you had to watch every step you take. That walking across your lounge meant being careful to avoid the coffee table. If you needed to check the floor to make sure someone hadn't carelessly thrown clothing, toys. Not for tidiness sake, but to make sure you didn't suffer suffer serious injury.

Being supervised in your kitchen, so you didn't drop anything, burn yourself, chop anything important off.

Imagine, that you had to think first before walking through a doorway, to make sure you didn't hit the door frame. Walking down the hall, you need to be sure no-one is coming through adjoining doors and you don't hit the walls. Without extra grip rails, stairs would be impossible, and that stairs without them are off limits. Not because it can be difficult, but because it can be lethal. Visit someone? Upstairs bathroom? Forget it.

If you couldn't get in or out of a bath unaided - and that to shower, you needed a special adjustable board across the bath. That your shower needed to be adapted so you can use it at all. That people hovered around the bathroom door while you're in there wanting privacy.

Can you imagine someone insisting sitting with you while you eat? Calling for you if they think you've been in the toilet too long? Tapping on the door?

Imagine, if you will, not being allowed out unaccompanied. Not being able to nip out for a paper. A pint? A burger, a pizza? A walk that used to take 15 mins now taking 45?

What I've just written is terribly un-British. Definitely considered unmanly, and frowned upon.

I have little Cerebellum, and some right sided paralaysis, and work hard to look normal. Thats just me - I have no probs being open - though some of the messier details I prefer to share privatly :)

I help out a little on the Stroke Association website (Talk Stroke) - and I'm amazed though it's there for people to help each other, and often Carers tell the most heart-rending stories about their experiences, very few stroke survivors seem willing to talk about the difficulties they face.

I'm sure someone would point out that because of their difficulties some can't acess, don't have the will to, or can't afford net access. I think I have a campaign coming on.......

I really think they should, because there are work-around most things. Don't get me wrong, some do, but privatly. I'm fiercly independant (see what new words you can learn if you knock on my toilet door!) Cerebellar (link)

Stroke Association (Talkstroke) - Anyone can ask questions there - you don't have to know anything about strokes, or have to be a carer. The Stroke Association is Britains only registered Stroke charity. They aren't just an aid for stroke survivors and their carers, they are the number one resource for information about stroke and stroke prevention. If you dig around, you'll find me there as 'Dray'.

1 comment:

Jo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.