Thursday 27 August 2009

Fishy?

Apparently, my two older kids are 'Kippers', despite one being in their own place.

"Kids In Parents Pockets Eroding Retirement Savings".

Oh, yes. Bear and I knew we'd reached THAT age when the away-from-home one phoned up asking, "How do you make cheeses sauce?". I'm glad Bear answered it. I probably would have said "By a bloody packet, add milk".

Thinking of smelly, it's that time of year when I have to do my pickles for Christmas. Truth is, stuff like Piccalilli and Sweet Chutneys are so so easy to make, for the same reason Great Granny did. To use up bits and bobs left at the end of the week, or to use up garden produce that needs sorting before it goes off. I'm still eating home made pickled onions now - 8 months later!

My Granny's were useless. I used to cook for one in my dinner time at school. Heh:)

It really is so easy nowadays. You get the pickling vinegar AND a jar. Simples. Problem is, it pongs awful while it's cooking. All door and windows open :) But Chutneys and Pickles taste gorgeous after a month in storage.

Naturally, I get the odd wally telling me they could get it from a supermarket. Fine. Ahuh. They get a good pinch of Chilli flakes in theirs (evil grin!)

I used to get my recipes from the net or recipe books - but over time I've adapted them to the way I like. If anyone wants me to post a few, no problem. But beware the pong :)

Christmas cake recipe being posted soon, - that needs doing in the next month....

Mmmm..Brandy.....


1 comment:

Jo said...

I'm all for packets, she says waiting for bacon, onion and mushrooms pasties to cook!
Josie x