Monday 7 December 2009

Goin' Overboard... :)

That time of year again (again)

Love the build up to Christmas. As I've probably said before. So everyone is banned from the kitchen except for cuppa's while I do my Christmas cakes, piccalilli's (4 different types) , chutneys, cakes, puds, cheeses, yoghurt's, pies. If they want to eat, they have to get past me first :)

This year, the pressure is on because I thought it more prudent to give my goodies as Christmas presents. Not that it's a cost cutting exercise, it's actually more expensive because it's customised. Lots of fun is letting people come up and taste and tell me how they like it. I don't taste it myself - I go on the opinion of the recipient, and anyone else gets lucky dip.

It's exhausting, but I love it.

This Years Favourite Gifts

1) Wheelie Sweet & Spicy Chilli Sauce. Use sparingly.

2) Chunky Piccalilli, Wheelie Style.

3) O by 'eck Brandy personal Christmas cake.

Cheese sticks, Wheelie style.

Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 5. I think thats about 210 C/392 F

Unless you're a masochist, you'll buy shop bought frozen, uncooked puff, filo or flakey pastry. If you are - good 'on you :)

I won't bother with amounts - Just go for it. Roll out your pastry of choice quite thinly. I like it quite thin, a couple of mils. It thickens up while cooking.

Quite what you do next is up to you. I use very thinly sliced Prosciutto laid across half of the width, with lots of grated Grana Padano. Don't plead poverty, a little goes a long way. Strong cheddar and smoky bacon is just fine. I like to sprinkle a few fresh herbs over, but dried is cool.

Fold the other half over. Roll thin again. If you've used thin bacon, you might want to fold and roll again and get it as thin as you can. Cut into strips - half inch, or about 1.5 cm. How long it is is up to you.

Pick up each strip, and twist. If it shows signs of breaking, twist gently until the pastry breaks show signs that the cracks close, push the ends gently together, and rub the cracks with a little beaten egg or water.

If you have mixed seeds, or sesame, press into a tray of them. Otherwise, just brush with beaten egg and cook for about 16 mins or golden.

5 comments:

Jo said...

not a chilli sauce or piccalli person but the brandy christmas cake and cheese sticks sound nice!
Josie x

Wheelie said...

Dangerous making that Brandy cake.

One for me, one for the cake. One fur me, one fur the cake. Un furrr....errr.?! :)

Once I discovered ready made frozen pastry, it was like - where have you been all my life?

The daft thing about it, is that unlike my homemade flakey (f'rinstance)is that it goes such a long way, and it refreezes any left over really well.

I've got this thing about (proper) finny haddock sautéed with butter, crushed garlic, onions and chopped flat cap mushrooms, sprinkled with coarse ground black pepper in a flakey case. Served with a Rosemary cream sauce, it's yummy.

'Course Finny is an acquired taste :)

Wheelie said...

Ah, p.s., interesting that you don't like piccalilli. Perhaps you should try some wheelielilli?

I've got people who don't like the veg, but love the sauce, others who like it, but want it all, but whizzy-wigged. Which is weird to me.

How about sweet pickles? Like br***ton pickle? I also do apple or mango or tomato or plum or heck, I do combo's. Free to friends....

Jo said...

yes we like br***ton pickle so apple pickle sounds interesting.
Josie x

Wheelie said...

Your wish is my command Josie.

Dubrie thingie pickle will be with you by new years day - 'cos I can't trust Anyone to stick it in a cupboard and leave at alone for a month.... (chuckle!)