Sunday 10 January 2010

Odd thing, writing.

I was helping a preacher friend of mine (at the un-holy hour at 3am) and he noticed I hadn't posted for a while - he ''a reader not a commenter'' he explained. We got into a discussion about writers block. Being a preacher, he's required to produce, on a deadline, and regularly. Worse, he has to read his own notes, and adapt it to his audience, and occasionally, after many hours, junk it all together and speak off the cuff.

It's not widely appreciated, but preachers don't just work Saturdays or Sundays, but often have to teach and speak at least 4-5 other days a week too. And often have to be entertaining too. Then there's the pastoral, caring work they do. So faced with a blank piece of paper, horror can set it. At 3am.

I don't believe in writers block. I pointed out in our heated, good natured discussion that you have to be organised. I use notes. Hundreds of them, on good old fashioned index cards and notepad on the PC. It helps, at least in his profession, to plan ahead and follow a theme.

One of my favourite writers is Jo Davidson in The Sheffield Star - www.thestar.co.uk. She writes what is effectively a blog about current events and family life. If you read through her articles, which are aimed at the ladies, and then study them closely, you can get a glimps at the careful research and organisation that goes into her articles.

So Steve mate - I hope you don't mind I've used you as an example :)

-----------------

So why haven't I been around? Well, back in October my household expanded to +1. My eldest lad, who already has a lady friend, met a lady from Illinois on line. She, and her mum had visited, while stopping in a hotel in July. The young (20, and therefore a minor in the States) decided in October she would come to Brit on holiday, and stop with a family in in our area. However, once she arrived in the UK, she discovered they were off on holiday themselves, and subsequently, didn't want her.

Guess where she's been, penniless, with one suitcase, with no chance of an income or accommodation? And she's loud and aggressive and.... 'Nuff said. As you can imagine, with my lad already having a lady friend, it's been a bit awkward, and legally - jimminy cricket. Worse, her mum in the States won't take her back and she doesn't have any means of getting back.

And, just to make life interesting, elderly parent, (late 70's) turned up on christmas eve very ill after a pipe burst in her loft, collapsing her ceilings, and is still here. Privacy is very hard to come by :(

I'm open to suggestions.................




4 comments:

Jo said...

mmm, difficult one , lady from Illinois, what about salvation army? or social services? or some international consulate? not sure what they call themselves these days? why hasn't she gone to stay with the family in your area, I presume they came back from holiday at some point? she's not family, so not your really problem, sorry if that sounds a bit harsh,just my two pennorth....
Josie x

Rarelesserspotted said...

I think a famous philosopher once wrote something to the effect that if you ain't got owt to say, don't say it!

Great blog as always, hope you are coping with the effects of the weather.

Wheelie said...

Got no luck from the Americans - they didn't (or won't reply) waiting for a reply from Uk Borders and Immigration.

My fault to some extent. It costs me nothing to give someone a couple of meals a day, and I have baulked at chucking someone out in this weather - I used to do this a lot in my churchy days and I fell into old habits. I'm a silly bugger I know.

And no, you aren't harsh, you're talking perfect sense.

Wheelie said...

Lesser Spotted, thank you :)

I've got some great neighbours who think nothing of phoning up my lass if they see me trying to wander up my path, and when I get bolshy tell me off and clean it of snow and ice.

I feel a blog post coming on.....