Sunday 5 September 2010

Flups.

Flups, as a dear old (very old ) friend says. He's in his eighties. "How're you doing Bro'?" I ask in his regular phone calls. "Well, y'know 'ol chap," he says in his best ex-RAF voice. "Flups."

Flups, Definition :- The process of being fed up and being made to feel somewhat loony, and being treated as such by others. Prob. combination of two words, unknown origin. Often expressed by ex-service personnel.

Today, I am Flups. In Bro's case, he's a little infirm, due to his years. In my case - and I'm more than 30 years younger - because I have some some obvious and not so obvious annoyances.

There was a television program back in the seventies about a disabled chap called "Does He Take Sugar?". Good title. It's something that you kinda get used to. People talking about you to someone nearby as though you don't exist. More, it annoys and discomforts people people if you are blunt and and say "excuse me, please don't talk about me as though I'm not here!"

I accept the commonly held misconception that indeed, a Stroke (or a few) is a brain injury, and to them it follows that it affects our minds and logically, our intellectual capabilities. Ah, ah. Sometimes, but not always.

I'm one of the 'not always'.

There's a dark side.

I've had a few days, and not for the first time, when I've been 'reminded' that I should have provided goods, services or money to people. One cheeky bugger told me I was supposed to lend them some money. I wasn't particularly averse to the idea, I just didn't have the amount they wanted available. Their response? "You don't remember?" I pointed out I hadn't seen them in awhile, and I hadn't got it. "Oh," was the response. "I find that difficult to believe!"

Won't see them again :)

Another demanded I hand over a particularly expensive computer system and frosted glass desk that "I'd promised them". Got rid of them by pulling out my notebook, flicking through it, and asking when it was. "Er, doesn't matter". I'll bet.

It's worse when they involve 'er 'indoors. Who is also my carer. That implies that my relationships are like THEIR relationships. However, my lass and I have been together 27 years, and through thick and thin together. You don't last that long in a relationship unless you talk to each other. Heck, in that department I've never had a choice!

It's happened so often, I've become an avid note taker, and if I'm suspicious, I'll take notes in front of them. That puts off all but the die-hards. Not that I need to.

I'm stroked, not stupid.

Still, it's upsetting. So today, I'm Flupped.

No comments: