Saturday 27 November 2010

Afterthought

Referring to my last post.

It occurred to me that debt collection agencies often use dubious methods to track and collect.

One problem with that. We don't have any debts. Unless you count paying the phone bill when it comes in as a debt. I'm very old school. No such thing as loose change. I'm a great advocate of pennies make pounds.

Want a plasma TV? Easy.

Say, for instance, an average price is about, I dunno, £700? A modern TV lasts about 6 years. That works out at £58 a year, or if you like, about a quid a week, per year. Put £3 a week in a jar when you buy a new TV for 6 years and you have £936. Quids in. Big jar tho'. :)

Fuel bills? I probably pay more than I should, because I refuse to use direct debits, internet payments and pay a little extra for transcash through the post office. However, since I don't pay overdraft fee's, use credit, and could never get into paying someone else to look after my money, the small difference is offset. In addition, I keep track of what I've paid in previous years, note percentage increases, and pay a regular amount......er..... regularly, mindful that by the time the bill comes in, I'm in front.

We live in a rented property, so Bear always pay a couple of quid more than we should, same with Council tax (do they still call it that?) Over time, we end up in front. They owe us :) The overall trick is to pay more than is asked.

But watch it with when you pay. Some providers are slaves to their computers. Pay too early, and they'll take your payment as an addition to the last payment, and won't take it as a present payment. Their computer will show the call centre monkeys that you have defaulted on the present payment, and even though you are technically in credit, they'll send you enforcement notices for £0.0p. because, in their computers 'opinion' you haven't paid.

So no. No debt collectors.




2 comments:

Rarelesserspotted said...

My grandmother (rest her soul) always said that you should never owe anything to anyone. Laudible sentiment in her day, but hardly in keeping with the way the world [sadly] works these days.
Hope you are keeping warm.

Wheelie said...

Certainly true that avoiding using credit nowadays can make life rather difficult.

My 'wheels' need a routine service, and last week we spoke to the local Mobility centre and asked for a quote. "And your credit or debit card sir?" asked the young lady. "Cash?" I said hopefully. Still waiting for them to get back to me.

Daft thing is, by avoiding debt, it actually lowers ones credit rating :)

We 'opted out' after years of helping people on very low incomes who'd managed to get themselves into a right tizwaz - not because they were being extravagant, but basic needs. I quite literally had to put my money where my mouth was and set some kind of transparent example.

But yup, you're spot on. It isn't the way the world works.

Warm? Chuckle. I have this little wireless weather station in my garden, and I was somewhat gobsmacked to see it was -8.6°C at 0530.

That's the lowest reading I've had in 5 years.... Toasty inside though.