Tuesday 29 March 2011

Census

Well, that Census thingy was done dusted and posted in ten minutes flat.

Wish I'd had the courage of a friend of mine. He filled it in in the name of his cat.

Again.

Despite the government claiming it's private and will be used to target badly needed services effectively, then locked away for 100 years, at the last census he suspected it wasn't as private as they insisted.

Within two weeks he received a council tax bill in the name of his cat.

He's quite right. Though the information wasn't as readily available then, if you dig around a bit, you'll find the census is covered by Section 39 of the Statistics and Registration Service Act 2007.

A better explanation than I can give can be found here at Hawktalk, the blog of Amberhalk Training Ltd, in a post dated 19th March 2011.

I hope his cat read it :)

~~~~

Rare Lesser Spotted was right when he said to me that his grandmother used to say, basically, "neither a borrower nor a lender be, and live within your means" But, he continued "But that isn't the way the world works nowadays"

Tis true. I've been playing with my teen's very basic smartphone, and my lads iPhone, and I was impressed. So I had a look around for one that had the facilities I wanted. £500? Eeeek! A whole half-a-grand?

Aha. Thinks you. Get one on a £30 - £35 a month contract. Nope. Being a dyed in the wool bankaphobe, no can do. I hate myself sometimes. Me and my bloomin' principles (sulk.) Wonder how much I can sell The Bear for. Hmm.

Thinking of which, someone said I'd the other day I'd sell my own grandmother. Not true. Long gone. Well past their use-by date. Besides, there's no market for 'em. Bears, however.....

~~~~

Playing with an open-source (ie - free) desktop publishing package called Scribus. Looks very comprehensive and shows some promise. I may well do a review. Try it yourself - it is free.

1 comment:

Rarelesserspotted said...

I filled the Census in for the family and when asked about religion - here's a mix,I wonder what historians or our descendents will think of this in a hundred years:
Me: Spiritualist;
Wife: Jehovah's Witness;
Eldest: Jedi;
Middle: No religion (he wanted to say atheist but decided not to);
Youngest: No religion.
X