Tuesday 15 March 2011

Ere' we go

In many ways, as a friend once said, my computers are my lifeline. I don't get out that much because walking is difficult, though not impossible. I depend on others to be available, paid or otherwise to be free if I need to go wobble-about.

My computer network, and my many years of experience of using computers has enabled me to do many things and meet so many people that, had the last few years been 'ordinary' - that is - work, education, travelling there and back, and all the other things that make up family life, well, I'd feel limited.

I wouldn't have had the time to be who I am now. It's quite an astonishing thought really.

A preacher friend once held my hand and said, "If there's one thing I've learned in over 70 years, the only consistent thing about life is change". Darn right. I'm ready for that.

~~~~~

A few Stroke facts (2011).

An estimated 150,000 people have a stroke in the UK each year. It accounts for around 53,000 deaths each year, and is the third most common cause of death in England and Wales, after heart disease and cancer.

Stroke accounts for 9 per cent of all deaths in men and 13 per cent of deaths in women in the UK. it has a greater disability impact than any other chronic disease. Over 300,000 people are living with moderate to severe disabilities as a result of stroke.

Each year over 130,000 people in England and Wales have a stroke. About 10,000 of these are under 65, about a third under 35 and from what I can see, roughly 10% of those being children.

A third of all stroke survivors suffer paralysis of one form or another- the good news of course, is that two thirds don't.

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of information about other difficulties. For instance, single or double incontinence, aphasia or other speech or cognition problems. Same with mobility problems.

A stroke survivor of any age may not have paralysis but other factors, such as balance may be affected.

It should be noted that lack of ability to understand or communicate with others bears no resemblance and has no reflection of the intellect of the stroke survivor.

No comments: