Wednesday 13 April 2011

Coat of many colours


Bear and I took a trip to town today to visit the credit union. First time I've been 'down' there in many years, and at least two years since I took such a long bus journey. About half an hour. Gosh, I'd forgotton how long it took.

The first really nice surprises were the number of young people who caught the bus and high-five'd me as they came up the isle with big smiles. "Yo' 'Deep", "Yay, Wheels", "Nice, Pops!" and "Nah then, Santa!", and "Ha, who unlocked your cage Dray!". In case you're wondering, I'm a man of many names. But they're all me, and I didn't pick 'em. They did. (shrug).

Err? Santa? Hmm. Good point. Must get Bear to cut my hair, it's between my shoulder blades at the mo.

Took me while to remember all their names. Not seen some of them since they were knee-high. Their all strapping teenagers now. Took me ten minutes to realise one was my nephew who I hadn't seen since his dad died a few years back. Blush.

~~~~



The reason they know me is because a long time ago, in a land far, far away, (early 90's?) I was a highly visible city 'presence' in a multicoloured jacket with a bright red cross on the back emblazoned with the words "Jesus People, Loving People'. Chuckle!.Guess that makes one stick in peoples memories. Along with transport like this piccy :) The ladies, ex and present keep in touch with each other. It's called the sisterhood, and you don't mess with the sisterhood :)

~~~~

I spent a lot of the journey with raised eyebrows at how much Sheffield city centre - at least the bit we visited - had changed. Lots of new roads and towering concrete-and-glass buildings. Quite impressive.

Except for the Castle Market, which at least from the outside was scruffy, decrepit, and quite frankly, a dump. I was deeply disappointed. I have some fond memories. It's going to be demolished soon, the area landscaped and quite frankly, I can see why.

I'll look forward to the remains of the ancient Sheffield Castle seeing daylight again. It's always been there, just hidden under hundreds of tons of flaking concrete.

~~~~

Joined the lengthy queue in the Credit Union. Lots of young mums and toddlers, clutching paperwork. The odd fella, about my age, looking bored, shuffling, looking at their feet, wearing the inevitable baseball cap, while the little 'uns wove in and out of our legs.

Bear was instantly at home, wandering up and down the queue, chatting to the mums, getting their life histories and cooing at the babies, while an annoyingly good looking twenty something volunteer young chap dealt with everyone efficiently. "Doing your community service?" I quipped as I reached the counter. "And you're not?". Touché :)

I spotted a hand waving over his shoulder. Another blast from the past. "Dray!" Errr. J. Something. Twenty-odd kids and people went quiet. I've not seen her for 10 years. "Your little lass's account has a lots in it and's gone dormant - I've reactivated it"

Oh. I fumbled for my ID. Handed it over "Hang six" Hang six? Blimey. "Hang six" she said. "You've been nagging your local school and Community Forum to open a credit union, and they're going to do it." Oh? "So you won't have to traips down here, and by the way, I've told them your good for volunteering. Nice to see you." The horribly good looking young chap grinned. "I think your ID's ok"

Oh. My. Here is the first lesson grasshopper. You may have many names. You may think your invisible. You may not get around much. But people have long, long memories. Oh. Wear a mask or something. And cut your hair more often.

~~~~

Lost 5lb weight in 10 days. Struggling to get above 30 carbohydrates per day, recommended is about 90-120 ish. Now at 84 kilo's and falling.

Tip. Don't take off a pedometer and leave it where a teen can find it when you've gone to bed. She's found if she gives it a good shake, she can add a 120 steps or more, the little...........

2 comments:

Rarelesserspotted said...

Great blog - very entertaining... what an interesting life - how about a book?
Take care sir.

Wheelie said...

15th.

Grin!

A book? Odd you should say that. Had a limited edition published back in 1970 called Dinosaur Island. I was a precocious, cocky little 12 year old.

Seems no copies exist, sadly. I'd love someone to find a copy :)

A book now? I'm not sure I have the confidence.