Tuesday 5 July 2011

Crumbs!

"But we have some in the freezer?" Bear said, checking her hair in the mirror. Again.

But.... It's really had to get around that kind of women's logic. All I'd suggested was that "We" - see what I did there? Used an inclusive term to defer future conflict? - "We" made some home made fish fingers for Don't-call-me-Tots when she got home from school.

But..... She had me there. "Birdseye" she said firmly, when I didn't answer.

I knew she was watching me in the mirror.

Actually, I was fighting the urge to run around the front garden screaming, waving my arms about, wearing nothing but my underwear. Or 'kegs' as my neighbour calls them.

American readers may be forgiven that a quick Google will show numerous references to 'Barrels'.

"They need using up" said Bear. That wasn't a question. I was being told.

Any normal bloke would belt up. Not me. "Have they been opened?" I offered nonchalantly.... (- Thrust- )

"Will be when I do" Damn! (contré-parade
)

"Where's the fish then?" She said. (-Thrust!-)

Careful Wheelie...(- en guarde-)

...Ah, no, wait for it..."Not in the freezer by any chance, is it?" Checking her, well, something, again...

Oh, gawd, all I wanted was to make some bloody fish fingers.

"Birdeye it is then" said a quiet firm voice behind me. Ouch. It's true y'know. You can hear someone grin smugly.

I will not turn round, and you can't make me.

If you'll excuse me, the garden, and me and my barrels beckon.....


No comments: