Monday 5 September 2011

If you'll forgive me...

While it's in my head, and before I lose it.


I know I make life a little awkward  by using the pseudonym "Wheelie". That began when I had a stalker for many years, who after over a year seems to have sugared off. As I'm putting my head above the parapet, slowly, I don't mind telling you that I'm a Yorkshireman called André. Nickname, Dray.


Wheelie is just fine and valid. I'm a reluctant occasional wheelchair user. Doubles as my computer chair.


About the post below.


Heritage Hedgerows. 


If there's a chance that your home was built before the 1930's in the UK, you may have a hawthorn bush or hedge. There's an excellent chance that hedge may have been there for hundreds of years before, and was treated with respect by the house builders. 


Hawthorne is a fiddly and awkward fruit to use because it's small, and has a hard seed. If you're patient, and like to purée a jam, it's nice mid-sweet jam. Personally (and this applies to Roe fruit too)  boil it with cored and peeled crab apples for about 25 mins until it's a mush. Shove the resulting paste through a fine sieve,  into a grease-proofed and buttered tray, and put in the bottom of an oven on a little-less-than slow cook heat (about 60 C, for a few hours - up to 24 hours. :) You'll end up with a fruit 'Leather' that will keep in a dry place for about 2 years.


Cut into thin strips, and give it to the kids as sweets. 


This won't apply to kids. Hawthorne is a natural, very mild, blood thinner. If, like me, you use medication, check with your GP.


  Elderberry. 


Elderberry - heck, can I overload you with recipes from wine from berries to crisped flowers in batter. Low calorie :)


However, it has a much longer history as a device, yup, device, planted near doors and gateways to ward off evil spirits. It was the technology of the time. Well, we're here now. Must be good.....

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Now I feel really embarrassed!! Sorry, Sidney ;-D X

Wheelie said...

Heh :) call me anything you like Tizzy.

'Er 'Indoors does. Most of it unprintable XX :)