Monday 5 September 2011

Talk about an Autumn bounty!


I've been gifted 10 lbs Blackberries, 12 lbs of Apples, 5 1bs of Hawthorn berries, and I've totally lost track of the amount of Damsons and Plums - and they all just keep coming.


I'll have to honest, and tell you it's left me all of a kerfuffle.  My first reaction is one of gratitude.Gosh, who wouldn't be?


~~~~


We don't live near countryside. It's a grey estate enlivened by the characters of the people that live here, a goodly and godly mix of young couples with kids and some who've lived here for 40 or more years. It's lucky enough to have a field nearby that only exists because it was too steep to build on.


That's supposed to be managed by The Wildlife Trust as a wild flower 'meadow' that's only fruitful in an obscure kind of way to those who know what to look for. But the older residents have planted apples and pears, blackcurrants and blackberries, Roe and Elderberry, and there's the odd patch of ancient Hawthorn boundary.


The local council started to modernise and redevelop much of the area. So out went some of those ancient Haws, hedgerows and trees - and in went samey walls and railing combo's. Thank the stars, at least for the outside, a few streets away they ran out of money.


That is just fine by me. The young parents taking their kids to and from school, have been taking carrier bags too, and showing them just how much is there for free. The older people have had such a glut, their inviting local children into their gardens to pick whatever they want.


Absolute magic. Knowledge I'd feared was going to peter out is saved, and another generation of purple faced, sticky fingered children from five to twenty are going to have birthright to pass to their children. Phew. That was close! :)


~~~~

Trouble with young kids though, is they can overdo it. Parents get fed up of 'purple' and sticky offspring, towels and furniture, Milk of Magnesia and 'Uffin' Chuffin' Jamie Oliver, and as Brillo Pads and children don't mix, well, usually......

Do you see where I'm going here? "Oo's t'bloke who does Branston and Apple pies and Stuff?"

Uhuh. 5 lb's Apples to the Pickles Bloke is a noble sacrifice. "Ee'does a nice Berry Jam". Indeed. "I've 'eard 'is Plums in Brandy and Sherry is 'smaart". Quite. "Dunt 'ee do Tomato Ketchup too?" 

Apple Pies. Home made Toffee. Cinder toffee (gorgeous), The list goes on. Since it would be immoral to charge, they have little to barter - my second reaction of 'What The Heck Am I Supposed to Do With All That' is easy. Christmas Chutney.

And I'm sorry, those of you who read this who have contributed. My Bear and I are Unanimous on this.  

Long John Silver here (See, I did hear that!) will give in return one Bear Sized (read :- Desperate Dan) Apple and whatever pie, and an honest to goodness 1826 Christmas cake. Deal?

Chatcya! Dray.







2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Brilliant stuff. The way life should be lived. x

Wheelie said...

Ooh, you flatterer you! Chuckle! :)

I'm still 'gob-struck' how generous people are.

The important thing is that simple barter isn't dead - such as hey, Dray, here's more apples than you can lift - how about some yummy stuff?

Which takes 5-10% of what they offer. A bit more wrangling provides sugar, flour, eggs - and I know their free - range because I heard the cockerel at 05:15 and swopped some fruit :)

Had to feed the ankle peckers tho!



Amazing.