Wednesday 30 November 2011

Pickled

Well that's Hissing Sid on, the pressure cooker. Managed to get round to doing the Christmas Pud, in the nick of time. And the mince pie filling. Not a lot of difference.

By golly (am I allowed to say 'golly'?) that thing is terrifying. Both the Pud and the pressure cooker.

I once lived in a concrete box known as a 'tower block', and though admittedly an older model, I managed to blow the safety valve through the concrete ceiling into the kitchen of the neighbours above.

Didn't make me popular. When they eventually demolished that block, they over estimated the amount of explosives needed. Huh. Should have checked with me first.

~~~~

It's kinda traditional around here that neighbours expect at least one jar of home made pickled onions as a gift.

Quandary. Normally, I'd get Bear to pick up tiny (about 1" to 1 & 1/2" across) onions from a local shop or supermarket. Not available.

I like to time it so on Christmas day they have been left to mature for at least 2 months. Not this year.

Just in time, I've hit on a solution. Cheat. Find the smallest onions she can get, and peel them to maybe 2". The 'peel' can be frozen in containers to be used in meals.

Heat Malt Vinegar with my (secret) spices until the liquid is reduced by a third. Allow to cool.

Here's the real cheating bit. Tiny Silverskin onions, that are very popular, have always been economically unavailable. I'm sure my neighbours forgive me for filling in the gaps between the bigger onions by sticking in a couple of tablespoons of shop bought.

Stick them into sterilised jars, and turn upside down once a day. Done in two weeks, last up to 6 months. Unless you like them softish (bleh!). They will, if you don't mind them softening, last a couple of years.

It would seem retailers have realised that while people are making their own, they aren't selling theirs.......


No comments: