Tuesday 22 May 2012

Handshake

Y'now, there are certain unwritten rules in business.


That's because if you want to keep in business you need be part of the business community, however loosely. For instance you get more orders than stock in - who do you turn to for stock? If you get overwhelmed, who can you pass trade to, who you know will offer it back if things get slack? A customer has an unusual request, like wise. 


Of course there's nothing wrong in thinking "What's in it for me?". You're in business to make money after all. Competition is good for everyone. But it's the way you conduct yourself that oils the wheels. Honesty, integrity, and gaining respect aren't only principles, they're useful tools.


I made a little deal not long back. We shook hands on it. In my world, that handshake was 'it'. I set the supply chain in motion, drafted the contract and started knocking together the invoices. Then zilch. Nothing.


So I made the call. "Welcome to the real world kid". Kid? I'm over twenty years older. "It's dog eat dog out there. I told them your offer, they bettered it." Ahuh? Quality? Quantity? Supply? As a matter of interest, did you tell them my offer, or use it as base? "Look kid, this is the way it works. I go to an auction, Until that gavel comes down, all options are open, right until the end".


I pointed out that an auction is an open public competition where everyone is present. That's true whether it's a stuffed cow head or a stock trading floor. "F**k" he replied before hanging up. "Can't believe you're so naive."


Nah. I'm not actually. Not the first time I've been at the wrong end of a brain-picking scam. I made a few phone calls, and his accountant is going have to explain on his tax returns about the 'difficult trading environment' to Her Majesties Revenue & Customs. 


He didn't just inconvenience me, after all. But I have good rep, and I was wise enough to have nothing clicking up a gear until I'd bunged the paperwork in. Sorry, in english that means my suppliers won't do their thing until there's a proper paper trail, at my request. I'd never do supplier credit. Too many have gone to the wall doing that. 


Community, integrity, honesty, but most of all, reputation :)



No comments: