Sunday 10 June 2012

Abuse


My girls have at long last learned that if you lend people money regularly, they not only think you have lots of spare cash, but they don't rush to pay back on time either. They may even come back to borrow again before they repay. It's also clicked with her that the borrower is always up a few quid, and the lender down by the same. "I know it's not much", Bear grumbled, but "it's the principle". 


Huh. A few quid. Try catching a bus without it............


What's annoyed me is that someone said within my earshot "but isn't Dray's DLA due?", and went on to explain what they thought I was given in DLA and how much. But worse, they thought they'd worked out when I was paid it. Utterly wrong, and not their business anyway.


DLA, Disability Living Allowance, is paid every four weeks. Thirteen payments per year. I have middle rate care, (three levels, higher, middle and low) and lower rate mobility (two rates, higher and lower). I have lower rate mobility because I don't get out much. The idea behind DLA is to enable me to live as normal a life as possible. Go figure.


It's no big secret. Feel free to check it out on the DWP (Department of Work and Pensions) website my payments. It's hell to get, and hell to keep. 


I chuckle when I read or hear about on the news about austerity. I've always been austere. I can't stand clutter or waste. I'm a "couple of quid in a jar" person.


But that's not the point is it? When someone (or more) thinks you're an easy touch because you get a disability benefit, that's supposed to make my life easier, isn't that a form of abuse?

No comments: