Sunday 10 June 2012

Family



I've had a lot of fun playing with my 20 month old granddaughter.


She has an 11 year old cousin who's profoundly deaf and signs. So to granddaughter, learning to sign comes just as naturally as learning to speak - so she does both simultaneously. Her hearing is perfect.


If she says something and doesn't think she's been understood, more often than not she'll repeat the hand sign  rather than repeat the words. And it occurred to me she's worked out that signing is often clearer than the words. It's quite amazing how fast and fluent the signing can be, particularly if she gets frustrated or grumpy. Flippin' faster than I can :)




I've discovered that....






It's just about impossible to put a 'ties back' in your hair with one hand - I have long grey hair. I've also learned to check in a mirror after some joker does it for me. Bright pink, purple or flowered 'scrunchies' do nothing for me.


Grilled liver with tomatoes, cucumber, chillies and sumac (or lemon) in home made pita is surprisingly nice.


Youngest daughter innocently said in front of guests that "If I need to know anything medical, I ask my dad".  If I hear the phrase "Do you have anything that'll make me go" again, I'm gonna.... Actually, there is. Jump out from behind a wall and surprise yourself. Works every time when you aren't expecting it.


Thinking of surprises. Five hulking great teenagers sitting on the same dining room chair together seemed surprised at the result. Oddly enough, I wasn't. "Good job it wasn't a new one" quipped one before legging it. He'll go far that young man. I'll make sure he does, when I've finished epoxying myself to the remains.







No comments: