Tuesday 26 June 2012

Oddly Pleased.

Sigh. Spoke too soon. Referred a couple of people to SOAR for food packages. My mate Mr. T, widowed, in his sixties with an unemployed teenage daughter at home, wasn't so lucky. Lent someone 40 quid and wasn't repaid. The bloke (disabled pensioner) can hardly afford to feed himself and his responsibilities, but insisted on repaying me 60 pence he borrowed for a loaf, the chuff. That's twelve bob, that is!


I find it really distasteful when people 'tap' uninformed and naive disabled. 


I'm not a big fan of the present government. But I had a friendly chat with an aged MP friend, who told me that he thought many had 'lost their moral compass'. I agree.


There was a time when people thought 'Hmm, perhaps I shouldn't do this'. Now in a drive to self affirmation and improvement, there's a swing back to the late 70's - early 80's 'I'm entitled' generation.


I have no probs telling you I come from an era of Whitsun Parades, Boys brigades and shared Tin Baths in front of a coal fire, nutty slack, 'black clocks' in the cellar and the ticking of beetles behind the wallpaper, and parents on 15 quid a week doing the best they could.


Have you listened to L'oreal adverts lately? "Because you're worth it." "It's all about you". You have to be selfish, get what you want, when you want, and have a so called 'perfect' body image. Whatever it takes to service yourself and your needs, and pay for it. The L'oreal generation.


Whatever it takes. Pffft. 


~~~~


Just chatted to my son on the phone. He called me 'mate' and 'bro'.  I'm oddly pleased about that. 






No comments: