Friday 10 August 2012

How it was

Oh, such a lovely dream. I was battling leaning into a tremendous blizzard. It was snowing so hard horizontally into my face I couldn't see more than a few inches before me. Wonderful it was, and cold? Man, was it cold. Magic.

Then I snapped awake with a kitten sat on my forehead, sweltering. I hate it when that happens.

~~~~

Had a bit of good news. Discovered that some little ditty I wrote way back in the early 1990's was being used without crediting me. I knocked off a little email making fun of them, asking for a little recompense, not really expecting or wanting a response. 

I was surprised to have delivered, from the well known reputable multinational company, a profuse apology, and just what I asked for. The occasional copyright credit, and two cans of lager. I haven't stopped chuckling all day :)

In case you're wondering, they had my address because I'd ordered from them in the past. I guess I was checked out :)

~~~~

Back then, there was no advertising or commerce allowed on the 'net. Free knowledge was the normal citizen thing, and all we asked was, look hey, I made this, and if it was midi music, we included it in the header*. I know it's hard to believe, but the only commerce on the net was between individuals.

* If you're a bit iffy about headers and privacy, you're in for a shock. Photos from mobile phones and digital cameras contain exif information - best way to explain that is an attached text file that contains everything from the location, the make of phone/camera, the shoot information, and GPS information of where it was taken.

Likewise, emails have headers with information about where they come from, their route to you, and who from. This can be altered. (It's called spoofing)


No comments: