Sunday 12 August 2012

Thought for today.

If you are a person, such as I, who depends on carers, be very careful.

'Dependant' is situation aware.  The effects of stroke are on a sliding scale. However, people get confused that the control centre which affects the limbs, speech or cognition - the brain, being also the mind, are mutually inclusive. Not so.

Inside that body is often a mind that's perfectly functional. My experience is that carers go for the practical. What you are capable of is what you are. Not so. Which makes a stroke survivor is no different from anyone else.

How often have you fought to express yourself, or reached and hit your physical limits? How often have have you had to back off and wait until you needed to rest? 

But if you have carer's there's an extra danger of a slow creep between care and control. For instance, I've been told I can't have a holiday because 'it wasn't suitable'  I can't go to a theme park because 'it wasn't suitable'. They did. I don't even know the pin number for my benefits. Honestly, that would look very iffy if I wasn't aware.  I have people getting upset when I refuse to do what I'm told. But they do what they want when they want. Don't you?

I've never been to a Burger King, or to buy myself a pair of jeans, a t-shirt or a café or a coffee shop. A pizza or a take-away, a football match ? Things people take for granted. It doesn't matter whether it's worth it. It's the principle. Why can't I - within reason?

If I was in prison, I'd get at least an hour exercise a day, and early release for good behaviour. 

I've been rebellious and wobbled off to the shop on my own. It took ages, and it takes me a couple of days to recover. But it's my decision. I could do without the ear bending. 


I think I'm reasonably lucid, and I'm very grateful.  But. What do you think?

No comments: