Friday 12 October 2012

Doing my thing.

I managed to fall out with a neighbour or two. Couldn't be happier!

Neighbour Mr A from day to day is a nice enough chap. Friendly, courteous, helpful and jovial. When he gets a few beers down his neck though, he's downright racist. I guess I just became fed up with him proudly telling me that he was "English as the day is long. English as chips and fish, English as Roast Beef and Bacon and Eggs!" which is his pet phrase when he's had a few.

I went into smart arsed pedant mode. I pointed out we are on the Julian calendar, which is technically Roman.

Battered fish is a long held Jewish tradition and English chips originated in what is now Belgium. The first    commercial fish and chip shop is recognised as run by the Isaacs family in what is now Whitechapel in London in the 1860's. The Isaacs, were, of course, Jewish. You'll even find references to Fried Fish in Charles Dickens Oliver Twist  published in 1838. (reference? read it)

In my opinion, the Belgians still make the best chips.

Roast beef came from everywhere. It's impossible to pin it down, though my favorite is the French, despite their teenagers tendency to shout "Oy, Roas Biff!" to make fun of their english counterparts if the spend any time there. As I did. My favourite point of origin for purely romantic reasons is Morocco. Though they used cinnamon.

Bacon. Preserving meat and fish in salt has been done around the world for those cultures that could afford it for ever. Salt has been a currency for thousands of years in those cultures that have access to it. Food preserved in salt had extra value. Eat your heart out Mc Donalds.

Just to be awkward, I pointed out that the British Royal Family are actually called Saxe-Coburg and Gotha. See. Told you I hit pedant mode.

Neighbours Mr and Miss B, Pensioner and daughter (he's a widower) kept asking to borrow a tenner (£10).

I don't mind as a one off, but it happened a little too often. So I've called them in. Yup. I asked them to come down so I can explain, because it's so daft.

They're short of money. So they ask to borrow. So they do. For gas/electricity/food whatever. Thats a tenner they have to pay back next time, which means that when they get their income they're short of money.

If they ask to borrow on a regular basis, I'm down by, lets say a tenner, and so are they. The bottom line is, I've had to be kind and tell them they're just have to go without. I referred them to two food banks who won't ask too many questions, who'll provide them with food per person for a week.

Not made me popular........

Don't provide blow, cigs and beer tho' do they? :) 












3 comments:

Jo said...

neighbours - brilliant!

son kept asking to borrow a tenner for food and electric so next time we went to visit we took him some candles and ten pounds worth of value food, doesn't seem to ask much these days!

Josie x

Wheelie said...

Ha! I love the candles. They're cheap for me as I make my own from left overs :)

I'm going to have to try that. "Here's two candles. One for heat and light, one for cooking!" ;)

Seriously tho' we've been there. I know what it's like to be skint, in debt and without leccy. WE got through it by going without. And, yeah, we used candles.

Sometimes though, by helping someone we aren't helping them at all.

Wheelie said...

Ps Eventually found a profile pic I'm happy with. Growing the beard for Christmas - I love doing the Santa bit. Just wish I had whiter hair - I've been quoted £55 plus. I know ladies are used to paying that, but wow. Just Wow.