Monday 3 June 2013

Oh, I dunno :)

A visitor commented "....but you look so normal..." and then looked dreadfully embarrassed.

S'right. I'm used to it. I noted it, because that's the way I'm made. People watcher. There's a bit of me that always stands back and watches. A few self deprecating jokes put them at ease.

It would seem that either due to personal experience or well intentioned (and important) television adverts, people have expectations of what a Stroke Survivor should look and, well, be like.

But a stroke is a brain injury, the brain is a complex organ and everyones brain is different. It really is that simple. The brain is the control centre, and how it affects the bits its attached to varies enormously.

I have physical probs, but I also have cognitive problems. I can also remember how my 'mind' worked before Stroke. Cognition and mind are interlinked, but aren't necessarily synonymous. I may not understand immediately. It's a bit like theres a filter between me and the outside world. But as I'm inclined to stop and think before I speak anyway (I used to have a bad stutter as a kid) it isn't really a problem. Ish.

The important thing is - never judge a book by its cover :-)

-------------

A bit distressed at the moment. A diabetic friend had been in hospital with breakages and edema due diabetes. They wired  him up and after a few weeks they allowed him home. So he hobbled up here, went for a pizza on his way home, and the chuffin metal work fell apart not long after he was home.

Titanium and stainless steel rods through his leg.

Now he's back in again. This is what he was released from hospital with......... I shake my head in wonder.









No comments: