Wednesday 15 October 2008

Aw, heck.....

Bear accompanied me for our yearly Flue injections today.

She assures me that I'm really not old enough, but, then again, as she's at least ten years younger than I, neither is she. I believe that's called Women's Logic, but since I'm a fella, it's way over my head. But I had to go anyway.

Afterwards, she fell into the local Supermarket. It's a family (her family) trait. Her dad has developed it into a fine art. There's a gentle breeze, a blink, an incline of the head, and suddenly, a sudden gust blows him into a bar. Genius, Genetic, and an admirable skill in inclement weather.

But today was merely overcast. So Bear, in gentle breeze, simply fell in to the supermarket.

Then I remembered why I DON'T shop with Bear.

"Bread ?"

Bread. Wholemeal please.

"Milk ?"

Milk. Yes. Super Filtered Semi-Skinned.

"Anything Else ?"

Ha! Now there's the Gotcha point.

Bear, eye's like saucers, and hunted expression, should seek the venerable "Anything", and defeated, hopefully, give in.

Not a chance. I recognised the grim determination, and the stunned look of a rabbit , overwhelmed with choice, caught in the headlights. Up ?, Left ? Down ? Right. I tried to head her off at the pass and failed.

So I did the only appropriate thing in the circumstances. I swore quietly under my breath, and tried to herd her towards the checkout..

Too Late.

"Mummy ?" said a little head just off to the left of my vision, all blonde ringlets, and pony tails and angelic frown, and two foot tall.

"Why did Father Christmas just swear at that lady ?"

Oh my, oh my, oh....

6 comments:

Wheelie said...

I'd like to point out that Santa does not have 'FLU' injections. But there are other occupational hazards...

Rachel@just another day in paradise said...

It happens to me at yard sales (tag sales? in UK????).

Wheelie said...

I think Rachel the nearest thing we have over here is 'car boot' sales.
Here, a boot is something you put on your foot :)

Tho' I guess State side you'd call them 'car trunk' sales. Here, a trunk is something an elephant has.

I love this language barrier. Great stuff. Pants over your way are called 'trousers' here, but here pants are male under ware, fawcets are taps, a diner is the place you guys can eat, but here - it's the person who eats. You can get a drink in a 'drug store' but here, the police would raid it for illegal substances :)

I think it's wonderful.

I think 'Yard Sales' are a great idea. Hmmmm. Thats got me thinking :)

Anonymous said...

Wheelie, I get the Flu Vaccine every year, and guess what I DO NOT get the flu, so I guess it works. I am now at the age to get the Pneumonia vaccine, so I am going to do that as well (they say it lasts for about 10 years). Could SANTA'S other occupational hazards include Reindeer who get the flu? LOL
Your friend, Lori from North
America, not the North Pole, brrrrrrr too cold for me up there!

Wheelie said...

I'm itching for the snow to start Lori! :)

Sadly, it's not been happening often enough over the last few years. Like the cold too - Seems to wake me up.

Best of all though, here we have these little festivals like all hallows eve and bonfire night which are all excuses to have a little fun.

Just what you need when the nights draw in, the temperatures drop and people generally get a bit down.

Sooo.. It's giant buckets of sweeties to hand out at the door, and decorations, and candy apples lots of work with pickles for Christmas.

Hard work, but great fun!

Wheelie said...

Errr... Soz, bad joke, which no-one seemed to get.

Ah, me :)

Flu. As opposed to Flue? Father Christmas, Flue? Chimney?

Heck, Wheelie kindly leave the stage :)

You lot are so sweet.