Monday 13 October 2008

First day of the rest of my life :)

My Bear is out shopping. Luckily, we aren't in a position whereas we could be victims of the 'credit crunch'. Though the price of stuff like food, gas, and electricity has shot up, we are ok. I saw it heading our way, and budgeted for it. So far, we haven't had to cut back yet. Still resent having to pay more tho'. Ah well , I'm not one to worry about things like that I can do nothing about.

Alert! Alert! :) Medic week coming up! Diabetes check, (and all that feet fiddling - yoiks, I hate that....) blood samples, tablet review, flu jab for us both, (Bear has it because she's my carer).

I hate going to the doctors. I go in feeling ok(ish) and come out with something else wrong.

Am I alone in that eating is a problem? I lost my hungry instinct after my first brain attack, so I'm not a big eater, and when I eat, I'm careful what I eat. I eat because I need to, not because I want to, and, between you and me, not a lot. Yet, my waistline seems to expand.

Any tips out there?

Don't tell me I need more exercise. Though I'm a wheelie, like a lot of wheel chair users, I have some mobility out of the darn thing, just a little.

Meanwhile, Christmas is coming up, and I'm lucky enough to be prematurely white haired and bearded and my neighbours kids who have stopped believing in Santa will be um, nicely surprised :)

Any ladies out there going to surprise their families with the Best Christmas Ever?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Wheelie,
Glad you budgeted for the "credit crunch"! Medic Week is something I am very used to and I don't like it at all. Since I'm a diabled RN I always resent what the lab people and the nurse CAN do, that I CAN'T do anymore. Oh well!
I will think of you as SANTA because my family and I "BELIEVE". Christmas is my favorite holiday because I like to give rather than receive (although I do get :))
After my first Brain Attack I lost 65 pounds, all I did was vomit everything I ate. They finally got my SHUNT adjusted to the right number and then the vomiting stopped so I gained back some weight. I have now lost 15 pounds since being diagnosed with Type 11 Diabetes in June of this year. I've changed my eating habits and I am on of the fortunate who can walk on the Treadmill 3 times a week. I also work out with 2 pound hand weights to keep my upper body strength. They say my left sided weakness won't get any better. So I do walk with a cane for safety (my balance is out of whack as well). But on the Treadmill I have handrails that I hold onto. It seems to be doing me some good.
Each year I have the BEST CHRISTMAS EVER!
Fondly, your friend Lori

Anonymous said...

You are right, I CAN drive a car now. I just needed to tell you that I also used to drive a MOTORCYCLE and I still have a license to operate one. My first Motorcycle was a 250CC Yamaha. I bought it brand new, had never even been on a motorcycle before). I learned how to drive it in the parking lot of the Dealership, which was in Boston. I then rode it home to my apartment (which was also in Boston).
When I moved to California, I had my "bike" crated up and shipped by Train. I drove in a car with two other people, my motorcycle arrived one month after I did, LOL.
Then I owned a HONDA 4 cylinder for awhile back in Massachusetts. My "pride and joy bike" was a brand new 1999 1400 Suzuki Intruder Touring Bike that I bought when I lived in New Jersey. I had it decked out with small windshield, leather saddle bags, it was mostly chrome and boy was it fast! I had it for two years and then I had to sell it because money was tight (I was going to college). I really miss that bike, had some really great times on it. Then in 2005 I had my first Brain Attack and I haven't been on a motorcycle since. I just wanted to share my passion with you Wheelie. God Bless and have a GREAT DAY!
Your friend Lori

Wheelie said...

My first machine was a little Honda C50, (50 cc) then I swopped it for a broken C70 (two months later) that needed a lot of renovation.

Totally rebuilt it, and sold it, which back then, was for a considerable profit :) But since I wasn't - and I'm still not - very mechanically minded, it was a heck of a challenge.

Here in Sheffield UK, it's hard to find somewhere thats NOT a hill - taking a 'dead' machine, and getting it up hills at a steady, ooh, 40 mph - that was it, I was hooked. Used the profits from that to for a deposit on a Kawasaki 200. Decided it was too light for me. Within 6 months, decided to trade it in and, on the way to the shop, in a blizzard.

Got blown off, and pushed it very broken in driving snow to the dealers. He didn't bat an eyelid. Straight swop for a Honda Super Dream 250. Built like a tank. Just over 3 years later I put it in storage for the winter (I'd learned my lesson) and it was stolen.

Used the insurance money to buy a Honda Super Dream 400 cc. A couple of years later I went through a string of illnesses, and sold it to pay for some private health care.

It's been a while now, but Bear and I agree that one day, I'm going to buy a Harley - gives me something to aim for. Not looking forward to re-do my driving test though.

Bike tests are SO tough in the UK, and getting tougher.. :(