Wednesday 12 August 2009

Ay me.....

I've had to disallow a few anonymous posts over last few days. Not that they were particularly offensive - it's because they were questions irrelevant to this blog. I would disallowed them even if they had a name and/or blog attached.

However, the common theme seems to be that someone or some people wants to know whether I claim unemployment benefits. I'm going to answer that only because I've written about Disability Living Allowance. Let me get one thing about DLA clear. It is awarded, with a great deal of hassle (well, it felt like that to me) after much poking, prodding, meds and paperwork for help with a disabled persons care and mobility needs.

It is not 'means' tested. Your income and your source of income is irrelevant. You can work and get it, and be available for work and get it, as long as your work or your availability for work is consistent with the circumstances you, your advisor's and your medics state in your claim. That straightforward.

Can you claim DLA and Jobseekers allowance? I don't know. I presume so. I do know that people with disabilities who seek work see a disability advisor at a Jobcentre. I have no personal experience.

Do I or my wife claim Jobseekers (unemployment benefits) ? No. I've never 'signed on' or claimed (un)employment benefits. Never needed to.

I realise that's a bit unusual, particularly in today's economic climate. Why? How? No-one's business but mine. However, if you'd like to pay me..... :)

Now then, dear reader (or nah then, as we say 'round 'ere). I don't mind the odd serious comment. Or question. I'll advise if I'm asked a straight question. I'd much prefer to being a little off the wall and try to be amusing?

Cheer's'me'dears :)

2 comments:

Jo said...

Can you claim DLA and Jobseekers allowance?

if this person or persons really want to know then I think there is an 0845 number so they can phone up and ask for themselves? try the direct.gov website

Josie x

Wheelie said...

Exactamondo, Josie. Cheers x

I was thinking that this morning. Perhaps it's not obvious that in Google you can type something like

"Can you claim JSA and DLA", with or without quotes.

Quick look up - the Uk national helpline number if you're looking for work is 0845 6060234, and need to claim a benefit, 0800 055 6688.

Sorted :)