Saturday 20 February 2010

Not so PC

I've followed with great interest recently the cases in the British press of householders protecting their properties and their families against thugs or thieves - only to find themselves warned or arrested because the police considered that they may have stepped over the line by using more than "reasonable force"

Not that many years ago, I was attacked at my front door by, quite frankly, a couple of nutters who had been convinced by a drunken mate of theirs that I was the cause of his spectacular downfall. Truth was, his wife had left him, and the country, and his not inconsiderable income had gone because he'd, to be blunt, p***ed it up against a pub wall. I'd refused to support the lifestyle to which he would have liked to become accustomed. I may be soft, but I ain't stupid.

So he hired a couple of thugs. So, "Nothing personal mate, you don't us, but we have a job to do" they said. The resulting altercation left one of them with a broken wrist, the other with a rather sore head, and both of them staggering after a rapidly disappearing get-away car, before the police arrived.

Guess their mate failed to inform them that I might be slight and skinny, but I was brought up in a very rough area.

The reaction of The Great British Constabulary? That I was a wimp. I should have 'finished the job'. I should have held 'what's left of them' until they arrived. That as a married father of young children, I should have 'broken their bloody necks', and I should be 'ashamed of myself'.

It was gratifying that a few months later to be told by the police that they had discovered who was behind the attack, paid him a visit, and because their hands were tied by lack of evidence, left him "under his desk, wetting himself and crying like a baby, but otherwise unharmed, sir". And left behind an coincidently dropped name. (Chuckle!)

Which, all in all, is a satisfactory result. But it saddens me that in a few short years, Political Correctness and Performance Targets have taken over to such an extent that would nowadays be impossible. And arresting a householder for defending their own? Perish the thought.


Here's a couple of Coppers Blogs. Their funny, ironic, but make some quite serious points.

PC Bloggs - Diary of a twenty first century Police Officer


Police Inspector Blog (Inspector Gadget)


Both have published books based on their blogs - highly recommended.

-----------------

In case, by the way, you've wondered why I post in large text, it's because some Stroke Survivors have vision problems. My apologies to those who use small screens, laptops and net-books.

You'll find me around the UK Stroke association. I'll let you work out which one is me :)

4 comments:

Paula RC said...

I enjoyed reading your blog and thank you for sharing your story with us.

Rarelesserspotted said...

I've nominated you for an award...
Rarelesserspotted

Wheelie said...

I'm sorry to have been away for a while.

Thank you both :)

Paula RC said...

Hi Wheelie, Thank you for joining my blog. I hope you enjoy your stay and please drop by any time you would like to join me in a cuppie and a biscuit.