Monday 6 December 2010

Cloned.

After a sudden flash of inspiration, a little part of some of the odd happenings may be close to being solved.

To recap, since the 1st November,

1) Mystery doctor's appointment being made in my name.
2) Mystery nutcase shouting at me at me on my doorstep.
3) Mystery woman telephoning about 'disability allowance' - and the DWP denying it.
4) Autograph hunter.
5) Lots of number-withheld hang-ups.

It seemed logical that the GP Surgery covers the local area.

It's my experience that people share a forename within a generation. My surname is reasonably common, (though thankfully, not Smith. That would broaden the data range far too much).

My forename is very common, though my middle name isn't in the least :) I'm normally known by a variation of my middle name, particularly by my GP Practice, which covers roughly 3,000 people.

Conclusion? That there was someone out there with a similar name to me at the same GP, in the same area.

So I've asked. They told me that they aren't really allowed to say, due to patient confidentiality and data protection laws. However, they could say that it wouldn't be a surprise if a Couple with remarkably similar names wasn't on their list, though perhaps older, considering the size of their list.

A Couple? That'll do me :)

Doesn't resolve everything. We don't know of a couple of similar names, and we are ex-directory. But I intend to find out. And I intend to find out where Mr. Shouty got our address from, as I can guarantee that unlike most people in the universe, we aren't on any commercial databases. I don't want or need Credit.

I opted out of the electoral roll years ago.

3 comments:

Jo said...

ID theft? contact experian - £2 for a credit report, ignore the free 30 day thing and just get the £2 report. I once did mine at a previous address and there was my name but under an address in Surrey to do with a well know high st bank, so I wrote and told experian I'd never lived outside Yorkshire!
Josie x

Jo said...

oh just another thought about ID theft, has any of your mail gone missing?
oh a website called 192.com , you can have a nosey of names on there, bits of it are free to look at and other bits you have to pay, basically it's the electoral roll online, which I object to having my personal details on the internet!

Josie x

Wheelie said...

Cheers Josie. Hmmm, I suspect you may be right.

No, no post missing. I'd forgotten about 192.com. They used to do a program years ago called Info Disk. Back then, they had an 'opt out' form you could fill in to be removed from their database.

I'll look into that.

Have to admit I'm a bit of a loss why someone would want to set up a fake docs appointment though. If the wrong person turned up, the docs would know it wasn't me.

I've also received a letter on what looks like official surgery paperwork purporting to be from their visiting podiatrist. As I'm diabetic, that wouldn't normally be unusual in itself. Usually.

For reasons I won't go into here, I have other, private, arrangements with the surgery.

So we queried it. To discover that not only have they no record, the date and time are at a time when the podiatrist isn't there.

I can't see the gain - other than that on paper, it'd look like I skipped appointments. But even that doesn't work - anything we query - and I mean 'we' - is noted on my record, electronically, and in the practice mangers records, to name a few.

If it's not ID theft, it could be a very bored and very dim stalker.

Can't see the gain, or the motive.