Tuesday 1 February 2011

He shoots, he...

I like to set goals for myself. It keeps me focussed, gives me purpose and a great deal of inner independence.

I'm in a position where I could, if I wished, get up when I feel like it. Luckily, I was born with a four hour a day sleep gene - which apparently is in common with Margaret Thatcher and Winston Churchill. Now there's an eclectic list. Thatcher, Churchill, Wheelie......:)

That means if, like myself, you're often reminded about what you can't do, and presumptions of that you can't do, it's kinda satisfying that something simple like in bed by 1am and up-by-5am - whatever I feel like gives me a curios pleasure.

Daft, isn't it? See that long list of meds I have to take? I take the first ten at 6 am. I may not be able to walk to the local news agents, I have family hover around me at meal times (what am I going to do? fall into my soup?) and I've not seen the inside of a pub, restaurant or café for 14 years now. But by 'eck, I can get up in the morning.


My latest personal challenge is to sacrifice some of my back lawn as a Herb and Vegetable bed. My raised bed was destroyed by someone, quite well meaning who, having got into their stubborn head "I had no use for it now" dug up my herbs as 'weeds' and whatever happened to my veg, I have no idea. It was all reduced to rubble. Quote "Those weeds smelled nice when I burnt them? Isn't that weird" Grrr.

It won't be very big - about 3 metres by 2 meters, and by digging up a chunk of the lawn I'll be making a statement. Gerroff!

It'll take quite while to dig and prepare it, a little bit at a time, and I have to start soon before the next severe frosts start setting in. The frosts will help by breaking up the clay soil, which is difficult to work, but incredibly fertile.

Besides, can't be doing without my fresh herbs. Growing them and keeping them on windowsills is fine, but messy. And have you ever tried to grow carrots on a windowsill? Don't...

Wish me luck :)

No comments: