Sunday 19 June 2011

Bear with me....

I do get into some odd conversations (shakes head in wonder).

"Bumped into (so-and-so) today, they tell me you've....." Er hang on, before you go any further, I've not seen them for over six-months. "Really?" Really. "Oh. Are you quite sure because they said.." Don't tell me, I don't need to know. Haven't seen them for over six months. "Oh dear"

~~~~

A couple of days later, chatting to someone else.

"I was told you've lost your benefits?" Nope. "Aw come on, they're here every day, surely they'd know?" Who zat then?. .

Brief silence. They told you themselves? "No, they said they were told by someone who visits every day to help out" Hmm. They moved out of Sheffield some weeks ago. "Ah?". Only ever saw them, what, every couple of months? "Eh?". Correct. Eh indeed.

"What about your other daily visitor?" I don't have any. Who are you thinking of? They give me a name. "Don't have any? Sure you do, they..." I see THEM every six weeks to a month. I reached across my desk to my daily journal, and vaguely waved it at them. Show you if you like?

"But they're around here helping out almost every day aren't they?" Nope. Check with Bear and Tots, Square and Lissy if you like.

I had to feel sorry for the look of bewilderment on their face. I had begun to wonder if they were on a 'fishing' expedition.

"So you're calling them a liar then?"

It was a statement without malice. No, I'm not calling anyone anything. I'm simply saying the information you have been given is incorrect. I have not lost any benefits, and I have no daily visitors, and if I need help, I have Bear. If Bear isn't available, I have elder daughter, and in emergencies, I have an agency I can ring.

I don't know anyone who would help out around here for free. Heck, even Bear gets paid a tiny amount (£25 for 35 hours a week min, day and night - 71 pence an hour ).

That conversation wound up pretty rapidly.

~~~~

Few days later......

"Thought I'd pop round as I was on my way past. See you got another doctors appointment?" I'd left that plastic bag thingy on the table.

Oh yes :) "More blood tests?" Yup. "They're taking a Carly sample then, ha ha!"

Puddin? "Way, you do get through a lot"

I do?
"Nowt wrong with a drink Wheelie" Not saying there is. But I get through what?

"I'm told it's six cans of Carly Special a day"

Indeed! I have enough trouble standing up. "Got to admit I've never seen you drunk"

You won't. Never been drunk. Never had a hangover. Have to up at 5:30 am every day. "Eh? No offence meant, nowt wrong with a few cans. I was just told..."

Soz, you were told wrong. I'd be dead in days if I did that. "But there's always a Fosters in the fridge?"

Bears. Likes a lager Shandy now and again. Can't stand the stuff myself. So, who's told you that?

"Someone who's round here nearly every day" Who? (thought to myself - here we go again...)

Look, I said, don't bother, it doesn't matter who. I have people who pop in now and again for a few mins, like yourself. I've neighbours who nip round for a chat sometimes, friends who visit about once a month or two, and we might chill with a couple of cans. And phone calls of course.

I have no one who visits every day. Bear is my primary carer. So can can you tell this person that claims to be here that often, that claims to have in depth knowledge of me, to take a long walk off a short plank? And if they have a problem with that, I'd appreciate a long chat with them?

"No probs Wheelie. Will do. Soz. No offence meant"

I've since heard something similar from two other sources.

~~~~

What's my point?

Point is I'm well angry.

Within a week, I've discovered there's a mystery someone 'out there' who claims to be with me most days to "help out". Who claims I've recently lost my DLA.

Who also claims I drink six cans of of Carlsberg Special Brew a day. That'd effectively make me an alchoholic!

I'd have to be a bloomin' rich one. A bit of research shows that it retails locally at £1.85 a can. That'd be £11.10 a day, or £333 per month, or a massive £4,051 a year.

Lets put that in perspective. It's no secret I receive DLA for care (See HERE). So the claim is that I spend my care allowance and more, on strong booze, NOT on care, while they help with my care freely.

More, the implication is, looking at the alcohol I'm alleged to consume, that I 'used to' receive Care Benefits because of the results of alcohol abuse. All complete unmitigated cobblers.

Unfortunately, I know where this is going.

I keep track of the tabloid headlines about people with alcohol and drug dependence issues receiving care benefits, read campaign blogs and help forums for distressed DLA claimants, and the - and here's that word again - implication- by the present government that those on DLA and ESA are 'scroungers', and the draconian measures already being implemented.

I fear, that there are those who read newspapers and get together and gossip without applying intelligence to disguise their own sad circumstances.

In a nutshell, I don't think I've heard the last of this. When I'm done being brassed off, I'll post something a bit more impartial. With more links.

Until then, for the record, No. Just no. All cobblers. Everything is hunky-dory thank you.

I know. Welcome to the real world Wheelie :(

No comments: