Monday 13 June 2011

Dr. Who, Bacon, and rock and roll

My lad visited today.

He doesn't live so far away, but it I can't catch a bus there, and he's just too far for me to walk. Add to that he's worked for a major high street bank for some years, in a minor role, and works lots of overtime to keep his financial head above water, means I don't see him too often nowadays.

Heck, I've missed him. Sorry ladies, but as nice as it is to have a wife and daughters, beloved as they are, one has a special relationship with the only other fella you've brought up. Even though the family joke is that we had two daughters and the SquareHead :)

If you read in the papers how easy it is for non EU people to get into the UK, I can tell you from personal experience, that actually, it's a nightmare. My lads wife and daughter are American. He's - well, we - are trying to get her across here. Bear openly admits she's obsessed with it. Understandable. She wants to see her grand daughter.

But the expense - it runs into thousands, and the hoops the American citizens have to jump through are incredible. So don't believe the rhetoric.

~~~~

An odd mix of old and new today. The new? Finally getting around to actually utilising the best of the technology we have. Now, I'm a bit of a computer freak. So I've bought up bits of old systems to construct working computers for years - didn't pay much, just a few pounds for bits people would casually throw away. I bought Bear a little netbook some years ago which surprised me by still trundling along.

To help my lad out, I gave him the money to get away from a rather dodgy private house to a new, rather nice landlord who plays by the rules. In return, he got me a bang up-to-date smartphone.

As a result, because I insist on watching James May Toy Stories on it in bed - gosh, what you can do with those things! - she's realised she can catch up with Dr. Who. In Bed. Yes. We're THAT age (Chuckle!)

~~~~

The Old? Diggin' through the fridge - what can I say? I hate waste - and with a rather sad looking bit of left over rocket, some young dandelion (yes, dandies) carrot, potatoes, some dubious tomatoes, lots of garden herbs, Hendersons relish - non of that Worster sauce rubbish, and god fobid an Oxo chicken cube, some chilli flakes, and something I can't quite identify.....Oh, and a couple of rashes of home-made bacon?

Cooked gently for an hour, wizzy-wigged, Bliss. Home made soup. Voilá :)

By the way, If anyone wants to know how to make their own bacon, I'll gladly post a how-to. A quick and easy method. It isn't much cheaper, and it won't be pink and pretty, but you can flavour it how you want it, and cut it as thick as you like.


No comments: